Chapter 15

*Beval Hernandez's POV:

Half of the table made me feel uncomfortable. Gaia's demeanor was negative. Celosia looked god awfully sad, but was trying her best to hide it. Kimberly looked like she was trying her best to pay attention but seemed annoyed. Alex was trying to make Kimberly laugh by telling crappy jokes. Tyler and Danny just sat back and listened to Hikari excitedly ask Shimizu millions of questions. To his amazement, she explained how and when she received telekinesis and even demonstrated it.

I haven't seen Shimizu in so long that I didn't exactly know where to start in the conversation or what to catch up on. So much has happened. Really, Shimizu was the one doing most of the talking, asking Danny how Isabella was doing and such. His eyes glew in excitement when I told him I was going to be an uncle soon.

"That's great Beval! And congratulations to you, Danny! I always dreamed of being a father. Me and Ashley will decide on that a little later though, haha."

Glancing at Celosia from where I was, I could see her how distraught she was. Shimizu was really the only person she loved. She already lost him once, but now, it's like she's losing him again.

"Hey, Celosia looks so down, we should do something", I whispered to Gaia next to me.

"Like what?", she asked in a monotone voice. I knew her and Celosia weren't as close anymore but the least Gaia could do was care for her.

"Make her feel better, maybe do something for her. Come on mi amor, she's going through it. Put yourself in her shoes, Celosia is our best frie-"

"No, she's YOUR best friend", Gaia scowled, cutting me off.

I was appalled for two reasons: what she said and how she said it. We have all been best friends since the first grade, and yes, I know things change but we've been through so many arguments, fights and frustrations and yet we were still close. I loved Gaia but I had to keep it real: she played a part. Because she didn't know how to help Celosia with her "grief", she grew more and more distant, leaving Celosia to only have me and Kimberly to help her. This came off as Celosia choosing Kimberly over her.

"Okay, fine then. I'm not gonna force you to do anything you don't wanna do", I sighed in defeat, crossing my arms, a bit frustrated by her resentment.

Even though Shimizu was busy chatting with Danny and Hikari, it wasn't long before he began noticing the negative energy surrounding him.

"Um, is everything okay? You all seem pretty quiet", Shimizu claimed with concern.

"Really?! Oh, I haven't noticed. I was too busy getting bugged by a pest", Kimberly said passive-aggressively, side-eyeing Alex.

"I'm just trying to make you laugh", Alex smiled at Kimberly after telling her a whole bunch of brain-dead jokes.

Shimizu smirked at the interaction between those two. It was nice seeing someone develop a crush on Kimberly, even if the feelings clearly weren't shared. We never really saw Kimberly have crushes on anyone besides Beval and even briefly on Danny as a teen. But we never saw people crush on her.

"Haha, you guys remind me of my parents. My mom was always lovey-dovey on my dad even though he wasn't a sucker for physical affection. He preferred to show his love through how much he provided for the family", Shimizu leaned back, relaxed in his chair before looking at Hikari. "How are they by the way? Mom and Dad?"

She paused, opening her mouth but no words wanted to roll of her tongue. All that could really come out was a stutter. Me and my friends looked at each other, trying to find ways to tell Shimizu in the best way possible that his dad was fine...but his mother was dead. We completely forgot to bring the news to him.