Chapter 16

*Gaia King's POV:

I laid in bed that night, my head sinking into my cream-colored pillow. Staring at the ceiling that was consumed into the darkness, I began wondering if I made the biggest mistake of my life. I agreed to go along with the most dangerous, most stupidest plan I had ever been in: to assassinate a government leader. He was a politician, so it was possible he had high security everywhere he went. If we fail at this mission, it could cause us to get arrested and maybe even get the death penalty. We had to think this through in a careful manner.

I only agreed to it because I wanted to help Shimizu. Shimizu helped us through so many problems, it was only fair. But there was a part of me that wanted to help Celosia. We finally found our mission piece: Shimizu. It was as if we were all back together again...and yet, we were still missing Kamryn and Mohammed. We knew them for only a short period of time, but those memories we had with them still lives on even after their deaths. 

I looked down at Hikari and Celosia, they were on the bunk-bed across the room. Celosia was at the bottom, Hikari was at the top, snoring. I was on the top bunk with Kimberly on the bottom. All of them were deep in their slumber and have been for hours.

It was reaching midnight by now and I couldn't sleep not one bit. I was worried.

Here we were, in an shelter that was three times the size of our own, better, could carry more people, more food, water, and even activities to keep people in shape. Everyone played their part in helping this place thrive, so no one was stressed. That wasn't the case at our shelter. I and the others, along with Mr. Hada basically ran that place. No one else contributed. They just profited off of being there. Beval fainted from stress, Mr. Hada was bitter and heartbroken, Hikari was bored and wanted something more out of life, Danny held in his visions because he wasn't so sure about them, and Celosia almost got kicked out because she depended on someone she shouldn't have. I blamed her at first, but now, I understood. In the middle of a deadly pandemic, it was hard survive when you didn't have many survival skills. It would've been easier and more reliable to depend on someone else for food and water.  

"Come on mi amor, put yourself in her shoes, Celosia is our best friend", Beval's voiced echoed in my head.

"What the hell has happened to me?", I thought to myself before climbing down the latter. I decided to take a walk around the shelter to get my mind off of everything.

"Hey", I heard. I know that voice.

"Where are you going?", Celosia asked with a groggy voice.

"For a walk", I replied in a nonchalant tone, not even turning around to look at her.

"Can I join you?", she asked, hopping out of bed.

"Um, sure?" I replied with hesitation, not sure if I really wanted to say yes. I wasn't sure why she wanted to come with me. She must have been mistaking me for Kimberly.

Closing the suite door behind me, we began walking.

There was a silence between us. I knew her, I could tell something was on her mind. 

There were people still walking around the shelter this late. Some were reading books as they sat on nearby benches, others were kissing and hugging each other good night.

"Hey, I wanted to apologize for lashing out at you when you told me I was looking pale back at the shelter. I felt overwhelmed at that moment and I just didn't want you to get on me about my fuck-ups, again. I know you don't like me, but it's still the right then to admit when I am wrong. I just wanted to take responsibility for that," Celosia apologized randomly, placing her hand on my arm.