Chapter 33

3 YEARS LATER

*Tiffany Cadwell's POV*:

Using my workplace identification card, I clocked in to my shift at exactly 8am.

I had the biggest smile on my face as I looked at the calendar next to the punch-in machine. It was friday, September 17th, 2027.

My heels clicked down the hall, approaching the front desk of The Heights high-rise apartments, near the main doors.

Luckily my job consisted of sitting down and answering phone calls, scheduling tours and meetings, and filing documents into the computer. It wasn't as hard as the leasing consultants. I was just a receptionist.

My panty hose rubbed against my pale skin. It itched a little, so I stopped in my tracks to scratch. Wearing them was definitely going to take some getting use to.

I checked to see if my lemonade packets were still in my purse. Sure enough, they were.

I sighed as I placed my stuff down.

"Hey Tiff", a coworker squealed as they hugged me tightly from behind, rocking side to side. My neck-length, wavy, brunette hair swung over my face, preventing me from seeing. "Happy one year anniversary with the company! I remember when you first started."

"Thank you, but can you let go? I can't breathe", I grunted with a chuckle.

Letting go, I took a good look at her.

It was my coworker, receptionist Roshni Viswanathan.

She was dressed business casual like the rest of us. She had on khaki pants with a pink, V-neck blouse and pink ballet flats. Her thick, long black hair was tied into a high bun.

She was of Indian descent, Tamil to be exact. Her chocolate brown skin was beautiful, and her smile could light up the room.

"Sorry, I just miss my work bestie. I had to take a vacation to get away from all of this political mess. It was messing with my mental health", Roshni pouted, furrowing her thick eyebrows.

"Trust me, I won't be here that long either", I sighed. "I got big plans."

There was an awkward silence. Nothing but the tapping of keyboards and distant phones ringing filled it.

"So, you gonna tell me what they are?", she giggled.

"Nah, you know what they say, if you share your goals you are less likely to achieve them."

"Come onnnnnn", she begged, shaking my shoulders.

"No Roshni", I chuckled, shaking my head as I sat down near my computer.

This I couldn't share. It would ruin everything. It's better if she doesn't know.

Thankfully, there were no phone calls as of yet. I was happy today, but not in the mood for the customers.

After clicking onto google, I saw a news article under the logo that caught my attention.

"Countries leaving the World Government in droves. How did this start?"

I clicked on it and began to read.

"Three years ago, tensions began to grow after a video surfaces of an anonymous person taking a secret video of W.L John Victran at a prison. In the video, it shows John Victran taunting a group of experimented adults, one of them being Shimizu Hada (while at gunpoint) and confessing that he killed Shimizu's mother for trying to reveal his secrets. He also admitted to helping release UF-37 to the world to "lower the population" and that the United Nations played a part in using mass media to manipulate the world into thinking the experimented were the problem for years, just to have an excuse to get rid of a great portion of the world's population. UF-37 is the reason for the death of 4 billion people in the span of almost five years. Many have lost family, friends, and even put into medical debt trying to prevent obtaining and spreading this disease. The public rightfully became outraged and protest arose across the world. Signs were held saying "step down John Victran", "no more world government", "we were wrong about the experimented", and "they are human too". Countries left the world government in droves, refusing to associate with the UN and the US, which is the home country of the World Leader. The US is even threatened with war from China, England and South Korea. So far, protests and riots have been taking place in every major city in the world, especially near the two headquarters of John Victran: One in New York City, and the other here in San Francisc-''