Tip Toe Balance

Liam and I walked for a bit in silence.  Part of me welcomed it because I was sort of terrified to find out what the hell caused me to end up in a mental hospital.  But I couldn’t control the nerves that were bursting inside of me.  I needed to know.  Even if part of me didn’t want to know. 

“You alright?”  Liam said and I looked up to him quickly.

“Yea no I am fine.”  I lied.

“You always were such a shitty Liar.”  He said with a laugh.

“Fine I’m lying.”  I said laughing a little. 

“There it is.”  He said putting his arm around me. 

“What?”

“Your smile.  It’s been a while since I have seen a real one.  You are really good at faking it for everyone else but I know the real you.”

“About that….How?”

He stopped and turned in front of me, stopping me as well.  He smirked.  “Smooth one.”  He laughed softly.

“You knew it was coming.”  I said crossing my arms.

“Fair enough.  Alright the story of us begins sad.  The middle is sad and the end is well…sad for me but happyish for you.”

“That’s….depressing.”

“Well don’t say you don’t want to know now because I’m telling you.”  He smiled down at me and I couldn’t help but return the smile.    “Alright so there I was.  All alone in the Looney bin.  Not a single friend.  I hated life.  I had somewhat of a breakdown due to issues with things that were out of my control.  That’s usually how it goes you know.  You get all worked up about things that at the end of the day you can’t control but I guess working yourself up and beating yourself up gives you some sort of control and then you end up doing it over and over again because it gives you something.”

“What was your….problem?”  I asked feeling awkward for just asking about something that is personal. 

“What is it always Kels?  Girl problems or boy problems.  We want what we can’t have.  I loved her she loved…God everything about me that isn’t me.”  He said shaking his head.  He turned and started to walk and I immediately felt awful.  It was obvious it still hurt him.  “Anyways this isn’t my story it’s yours.  He said stopping and holding his hand out.  I hesitated for just a second but then I grabbed his hand and we both continued to walk.  “So anyhow there I was alone in the world and then you walked in and everything changed.  First off you were around my age.  We were one of the few teenagers in the place which I found odd because everyone knows teenagers are fucking mental.  But also I looked at you and I could see the hurt in your eyes and for the first time in a long time I knew I wasn’t alone anymore.  I knew we were going to be friends right away.  You needed some convincing, but you always do.  With everything.”  He said laughing.  I smiled up at him.  It was nice to have him talking.  It was nice not to have to actually think.  When I am with Luke or Harry or even Talia they are always so serious and wanting to know what I think about anything and everything and it get to be so exhausting.  Liam was letting my brain rest and I think that is what I need, to just get out of my head sometimes. 

“So why was I there?”  I asked the obvious question. 

“Your parents put you in there.  You didn’t want to be there and you didn’t think you needed to be there.  But after about a week you had come to love it.”

“I loved being in a Mental Institution.  Maybe they shouldn’t have let me out.”  I said laughing.  Liam did as well. 

“Well Kelly you weren’t crazy.  You just had love problems.”  He said looping my arm in his and pulling me a little closer.