Blaze

I felt my feet moving.  I needed to get down there.  I needed to help them.  The thought that I was in danger never crossed my mind.  Honestly I didn’t care.  I felt a hand grab my wrist and I stopped, turning back to see who it was. 

“Hold on.”  Luke said as I swung around.

“There is no time for that!”  I said loudly shaking my arm loose.

“Wait!”  He said grabbing it again.

“No he needs me.”  I screamed yanking my arm away and running.  If you were to ask me then who “he” was I couldn’t tell you.  It could have easily been Louis or Harry as both of their faces were running through my mind.  My lungs began to burn, but I wasn’t going to stop.  I needed to get to them.  I could hear Luke behind me still and I felt a weird sort of comfort knowing I wasn’t alone.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to find.  The screams ahead indicated it wasn’t going to be good. 

As we reached the town the smoke became intense, it was so hard to breathe. 

“Cover you mouth.”  Luke yelled.  I pulled my shirt up over my mouth as we began to walk through what had been Afton.  Now it was just houses on fire.  By the time we had gotten there the screams had all but died down.  It was eerie.  The silence.  All you could really hear was the crackle from the fires and the occasion sound of the huts as they fell to the ground.  In a matter of minutes the closest thing to home for us was gone. 

I looked back at Luke, his eyes dancing in the fire.  They moved from side to side, searching for any sort of proof of life.  Finally his eyes fell on me. 

“We need to get out of here.”  He said, his voice sort of muffled from his shirt.

“I want to check your hut.”  I said.  I expected him to argue with me.  But instead he just nodded and walked towards me.  He took my hand and began to walk quickly.  I walked behind him, holding tight to his hand. 

It was hard to tell which hut was which, the familiar markings now nothing but burning wood.  But I could easily make out Harry, Luke and Louis’s hut.  It was on the corner near where the sick house was.  We stopped in front of the smoldering building.  If there was anyone in there, they weren’t alive.  I felt Luke squeeze my hand and I looked up at him. 

“We need to go.”    He said again and this time I didn’t argue.  I dropped my head and followed him.  I felt this pit in my stomach. 

“Can we go by my hut?”  I said.

“Why?  Everything is gone.”

“I just need to check something.”  I said softly.  Luke paused for a second, he lifted his eyes to the sky, but then he looked down at me and nodded.  He began to walk and I pulled myself closer to him.  I don’t know what I was hoping to find but I needed to get there.  It was almost like my last hope was there.  Luke was right though.  We needed to hurry and get out of here.  It was getting harder and harder for us to breathe.  But we walked quickly towards what use to me my home.  I could see it, and just like the rest of the huts it was in flames.  But I wanted to get up close.  I needed to just be there and know there was nothing.  We walked up and then I saw it.  The sign I was looking for.  Well was it a sign?  Or was it a late warning.  The hut was on fire, it was close to collapse.  But near the door, laid a banana.  Harry had been here.  I let go of Luke and ran up to the house.  Sudden Luke grabbed and yanked me back.  It was perfect timing as the hut fell, the banana disappearing under the burning rubble.

“What the fuck are you doing?”  He yelled, his shirt not covering his mouth anymore.

“Did you see it?”