Catching Up with Heartbreak

Kelly

It was like my subconscious was answering my question.  What had I done to Talia?  The flash happened. 

"You can't tell her!"  Calum said practically screaming at me.  He was half naked. 

"Why?  Why shouldn't I?"  I asked.

"Because...Because it will ruin everything?"  He said, with tears in his eyes.

"Oh you sleeping around didn't do that.  Me telling her about it is what will ruin it!"  I said angrily. 

"Don't act so fucking innocent Kelly."  He spat back.

"Just tell me one thing.  Why with her best friend?"  I said looking down at Marissa in the bed.  She had been so quiet.  But she was crying.  I felt sick to my stomach when I looked at her.  This whole situation made me sick.  I never thought I would see this happen?  Talia and Calum had always just been right.  They were the quintessential perfect couple.  They never fought, they were always super affectionate and to be honest they were what I always thought Love was.  My parents had never been like them.  My parents were cold to one another.  My mother had more of a love affair with her bottles of Vodka then with my Dad.  They stayed together because of Louis and me.  We all knew this. 

"It was...an accident."  Calum said looking down. 

"Right the old trip fall into your girlfriend's best friend.  Understandable."  I said letting my arms fall to my side.  I turned to walk out and stopped. My chest literally ached.  As much as I wanted to tell Talia, I couldn't.  I couldn't ruin this relationship too.  I had always blamed myself for my parents. Once upon a time, a long time ago, before me and Louis my parents had been madly in love.  I had seen pictures.  It was all very fairytale.  Louis and I were like the evil stepmothers.  I couldn't do that again. 

I turned around as Calum sat down on the edge of the bed. 

"Never again."  I said.  Calum looked up at me. 

"What?"  He asked.

"It can't happen again. This ends here.  If I hear about it again, I will tell her."  I lied.  Truth was he could continue screwing around with Marissa and I wouldn't tell.  Not because I didn't like Talia.  She was probably one of the nicest girls I knew.  I just didn't want to be responsible for ruining love again. 

I came out of the flash.  I was lying on my back.  Luke was looking down at me. 

"Are you back?"  He asked leaning down a bit.

"Yea."  I said lifting myself onto my elbows.  I immediately looked over at Talia who was now sitting up.  She leaned awkwardly on Calum.  If she knew I knew, then that meant she knew Calum had been with Marissa.  Its girl logic, cheating sucks, but cheating with your best friend is like an ultimate betrayal.  I bit my lip as she stared at me. 

"I need to talk to you."  I said to Luke who was now standing next to me. 

"Okay let me help Calum get Talia inside and then we can take a walk."  He said offering me his hand.

"Is that safe?"  I asked taking his hand and pulling myself up. 

"I think so.  It's been a while and no shots have been fired."  He said.  I nodded and then he walked over to Calum.  The two of them helped Talia up and walked her inside.  I watched quietly, feeling even more guilty than before.  She looked so fragile now and I don't know if it was because she had been shot or because she had been reminded of the broken heart she had ran away from.