Stranger in the Clearing

I got to my feet quickly. My blood coursing through my veins, my eyes darting around. We weren't alone. But I saw no one. How did he know? It was like he read my thoughts because he answered my question.

"I heard footsteps over that way." He said placing he mouth near my ear so he could speak quietly. I nodded letting him know I heard him. "We have to move." He said taking my hand and leading me in the opposite direction of the noise he heard. We moved quickly but silently so we wouldn't let on our direction. My head moved back and forth looking to make sure nothing was on either side of us. Luke kept eyes forward leading us further into the woods then, just a day earlier, I would have liked. But it felt right now. We needed to get away from the noise. I didn't know if it was a person or an animal, but we had nothing to defend ourselves with and we couldn't chance it being either really.

"Keep up Kelly." He said keeping a steady fast pace. I, still only being partially awake, even if I was startled, found myself moving slower by the minute.

"Where are we going Luke?" I asked squeezing his hand a bit.

"Somewhere we can be safe. There has to be something out here."

"What if it is someone looking to help us?" I asked the thought just jumping into me head.

He was quiet though. He had probably not thought that.

"I don't know if anyone wants to save us Kelly. We were handcuffed for a reason." He said keeping eyes forward as he still lead the way.

We walked quickly and quietly for over an hour. Then my legs started to give out.

"We have to stop." I said falling to my knees.

"Kelly we ca-"

"We are stopping ok!?" I said loudly. Luke looked around for a minute. Surveying our surrounding. Then he sat next to me.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly. "I just....I don't know what we are up against. And until I can find some way to protect you....I mean protect us...I don't feel safe just being here." He said looking down to fiddle with his fingers. He wanted to protect me. I don't know if it was that or the fact that he was right but I stood up.

"Fine. Let's go."

"We can rest if you have to."

"Let's just go a bit further. Maybe we will find somewhere safe." I said putting my hand down to help him up.

"We can go slowly." He said once he was off his knees. I nodded and we started walking. He didn't hold my hand this time and for some reason it sort of bothered me. I felt less secure. I mean he was a stranger and yet he made me feel safe with his touch. I'm assuming of course he is a stranger since I can't remember anything from my life except yesterday and my name. Why can't I remember anything?

The slowing of our pace did help quite a bit. Luke wasn't much of a talker and I wasn't sure how if I liked that or not. I wanted to know things, about him. But he had no answers for me. I had none for him. So honestly what could we talk about? But I hated the silence. The crunching sound of the leaves under our feet was slowly driving me insane. And I found myself craving just to hear anything but the noise.

"Do you know which direction we are heading in?"

"I think west? Just judging by the sun." He said continuing to walk.

"You don't happen to have any berries do you?" I asked awkwardly.

"Sorry I didn't have time to grab any. I am hungry too." He said looking back at me.