Murderer in our Midst

I stood motionless staring at Carissa’s lifeless body as Luke slowly rocked back and forth.  This was the first time ever, in this new life at least, that I had seen him lose it.  We didn’t know Carissa that well but she was younger than us.  And seeing her dead must have hit something in Luke because he was unraveling in front of me.  Tears were streaming down his face as he stared down at her.  Movement behind him caught my eye and I looked up to see a shocked Talia standing behind him.  Her hands were now covering her mouth, her face tearstained and red. 

“Get help.”  I heard and I looked back at Luke.

“What?”  I asked unable to actually put a thought together. 

“Get Help Kelly!”  He said yelling at me.  I knew it wasn’t personal.  I had never seen a dead body before that I could recall.  And I was guessing neither had he.  I nodded and turned around quickly.  I took about 5 steps out of the hut when I saw that Niall and Liam were hurrying towards our hut.  They must have heard the screams as well.

“Niall, Liam hurry.”  I said in a panic.  Not as if it would help.  The damage was done.  It was obvious she was gone.  I don’t know what I was expecting them to do but it comforted me a little to see them.  Especially Niall.  I knew that he would at least be able to comfort Talia.  I knew they weren’t coupled anymore but I knew he would bring her some sort of solace. 

They stepped in to the hut, I followed behind them.

“Oh my God!”  Liam said loudly. 

“Talia.  What happened?”  Niall asked walking over to Talia and taking her into him arms.  He hugged her tightly and she began to cry again. 

“I just..I don’t…Carissa..”  She tried to form a sentence but she couldn’t get it together.  Niall began to shush her.

“I’m going to get her out of her.  Take her to the sick house.”

“Um…Yea ok we will be behind you.”  Liam said nodding down at Luke and Carissa.  Niall began to walk Talia out but she stopped in front of me.

“Don’t let anyone else near her.”  She said looking at me.

“Who did this?”  I asked without a thought.  Her eyes showed pain but they also showed fear.  She knew something.

“Don’t let anyone near her.”  She repeated.  I nodded.  She turned and looked at her one more time before burying her head into Niall’s chest.  He nodded at me and then they walked out.

It was quiet for a few moments.  Liam didn’t seem to know what to do.  The only real sound was the occasional sniffle from Luke who still sat in a daze on our hut floor rocking Carissa’s dead body in his arms.  It’s weird to say this but seeing Liam like this was almost a relief.  He finally seemed normal to me.  Before he put on this weird façade, like he was almost God like.  He rarely showed emotion.  I was starting to think he was a robot or something.  The way Harry made it sound, anything was possible.  But seeing him now it was clear he was human.  He looked terrified and sad and just plan confused about what to do. 

“We need to move her.”  I said softly.  He looked over at me.

“Yea um right.”  He said putting his hand on the back of his neck. 

“Luke.”  I said.  He just looked forward.  Had this broke him?  “Luke!”  I said a little louder.  Then I lowered myself to a crouching position next to him.  “We have to move her.”

“We can’t.  What if we wake her up?”  He said finally looking at her.

“I don’t think we will.  Let’s just take her to the sick house so maybe Niall can look at her.”