Chapter 16- Roadtrip

Chapter 16 Roadtrip

The second that the man layed eyes on Ambrose he began to shake ten times more.

“No,no,no.....not you.” He fumbled with something in his hands almost in  a panicked state.

“Long live the dark alliance!” The man shouted as courageously as he could before popping something into his mouth.

I had no idea what he was doing but Dalton muttered “shit” before Ambrose was hovering over the man trying to open his mouth. Within seconds the man smiled as his body began to droop and lay there stiff.

Poison. This man had just killed himself.

“What’s the Dark Alliance and why was he trying to kill me?” I folded my arms feeling completely uneased by this. I mean he was human so he wasn’t a threat to me, but if he was apart of something and someone wanted me dead- well I don’t suspect he’s the only one who would try to kill me.

Perseus shook his head in exasperation. “I don’t believe this, you leave her out there by herself and look what happens!” His anger was directed towards Ambrose.

He just shrugged. “ Please, like Maverick was any real threat to her.”

“And if they send  someone else like DA’s, then what?” Perseus was standing right in Ambrose’s face and for some reason beyond my comprehension he seemed amused.

This only seemed to make Perseus even more upset. There was something strange about their relationship or there lack of.

“What are DA’s?” I asked curiously.

Dalton shifted closer to me so he could whisper as we all sort of watched the quarrel between Ambrose and Perseus. “Dark Augurs. Magic users who were tortured until they turned willingly. Whoever was left behind from the war was recruited by the Dark Alliance.”

There was so much that I didn’t know and I didn’t even know where to begin. Nothing made sense.

“If they send DA’s then I’d say Trinity could still handle them. I believe you’re underestimating her abilities.” Ambrose stepped back a little almost a little annoyed by Perseus.

“Well I believe you’re overestimating her abilities especially given her amnesia.” Perseus shoved Ambrose back a little.

Dalton moved in and separated the two by standing in the middle of them, as if sensing the tension thicken.

“And you’re all too anxious to take advantage of that fact, aren’t you? When she remembers - and she will, you mark my words” Ambrose paused mid-sentence and stepped in front of Dalton as he closed in on Perseus before whispering something into his ear that not even I could hear.

Perseus gritted his teeth and I thought he was about to lose it, his eyes were swirling shades of silver and there was a fierce look in his eyes. He clenched his fists and turned around to walk out of the house.

I watched him go, indecisive about whether or not I should follow. The one woman from the photo was standing beside me, I hadn’t even seen her there until now.

“Don’t worry about him, go see if he’s okay.” She glanced towards the front door that Perseus stormed out of.

“Thanks-” I didn’t even know her name.

“Emmaline. Don’t take that argument personally, they’ve been at odds since they met.” She half-smiled but still had a sad look on her face.

More stuff I was curious about but right now I needed to see if Perseus was okay. I sensed he needed me and again I knew this was the bond speaking to me but I wanted to make sure he was okay. He spent so much time trying to make sure I was okay that I had to return the favour.