Chapter 21 Interrupted

Driving along the main highways was boring and uneventful. We were maybe an hour’s way out of town when I heard the cell phone ring.

“Dalton.” I chimed in, waiting to hear any criticism I might get from Dalton.

“Trinity, next time you want to leave - talk to me about it first. You know I’d back whatever decision you thought was worth making. That’s not however why I’m calling. Ambrose is gone.” Dalton’s voice seemed emotionless, pretty calm actually for someone who just lost the most important link to saving our kind and for me getting Ambrose back.

“Gone? As in gone- gone?” I swerved lanes, cutting in front of cars and nearly getting hit by a bus.

“Jesus, Trinity what on earth are you doing?” Perseus woke up and looked at me strangely.

“I was only joking. I just called to make sure you two feed. Perseus hasn’t fed in days, I think he’s putting it off but you know what a lack of blood will do-”

I cut him off almost screaming. “You are a moron! I’m tempted to turn back just to kill you, mate.”

All I could hear was Dalton chuckling on the other end of the line. “Noted- but I’m already dead.”

I really wanted to give him a good smack across the face, but I knew in part I deserved it for what I did.

“That would defeat your purpose in running off scarce in the middle of the night. By the way, thanks for bringing me some grub.” Dalton added sarcastically.

“Did you guys track the baby yet?” I wondered if that was part of why Dalton was in a better mood.

“Not yet. Emmaline wants to make sure Bronx isn’t withholding information and Balthazar should be here in a few hours, so we’ll do it come sundown. Be careful though, Balthazar mentioned that the Alliance has your photo circling, the bounty on your head is more than you can imagine.” Dalton seemed to be withholding information, I could  sense it.

“How much more?” I wondered how much more money they could possibly offer for my capture. Like the Alliance didn’t have anything better to do than off me, they were so corrupt these days that it was sad to see.

“Like the position of Leader of the Alliance.”  Dalton’s voice had grown very small, I couldn’t believe what came out of his mouth.

“Oh lovely.” I muttered as I pulled off the road completely and shut down the engine to think for a minute.

“Wait, you knew about this before didn’t you? That’s why you didn’t stop me from leaving.” It’s funny how Dalton worked.

“Well you are safer away from here. The nearest safe house was only a few kilometers from the hotel, they’d suspect you’d come by sooner or later. Just be careful.” Dalton muttered a ‘shit’ and an ‘I’ll call you later’ before hanging up.

I flipped the phone shut. “You knew about this too?” I glanced towards Perseus who shrugged nonchalantly.

“I may have. I wouldn’t be too concerned. Dalton has a tendency to be overprotective of you, plus he knows I’d take good care of you.” Perseus smiled  a little.

“We’re going back to the grocery store. I saw one not far from here.” I started the car up and headed towards the grocery store.

“Human food?” Perseus looked at me as though I’d lost my mind.

“Silly vampire, humans are our food.” I flashed my fangs at him, I was so hungry that I was starting to not make sense.

Perseus just laughed. “I’ve been putting it off for a bit, but I suppose I better feed before something disastrous happens.”