Isabelle Olympus part 23

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait but I'm back at school now so updates will be slow. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter, please let me know what you think.

The time before summer started seemed to go very quickly. Dionysus was now back at camp, he was grumbling more than ever about the extra duties he had to do but I just ignored it. He had earned that punishment, I wasn’t about to let him off of it just because he was moaning and sulking like a three year old. I got a call from Chiron every few weeks, he liked to check up on camp to make sure the place had survived with me and Dionysus in charge. Apparently he was still watching this Perseus kid, but he agreed with Grover that he could be something special. They were going on a school trip next week to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to look at their ancient Greek and Roman collection. No one else seemed to find it ironic that Chiron was going to be showing a bunch of human kids (and a possible demigod) the relics that told the stories he helped to create, after all, the heroes of the legends were demigods that he had trained.  

Also whenever Alex came to visit me now at camp, instead of just appearing in my cabin, he would purposefully appear in the middle of camp instead, so that the kids would see him. After that one day when he looked after them, he was all that they could talk about. They loved him, and although I never mentioned it to him, I could see that he loved them too. His eyes would always sparkle whenever he saw the mass of children running towards him, to tackle him to the ground. Of course he pretended that he didn’t really care, and I didn’t want to embarrass him by admitting to him that I knew he loved the campers almost as much as I did.

Alex and I were going great! He was so sweet, and a real gentleman. He still took me on dates every few weeks, but now that I was running camp basically by myself I didn’t have as much free time to go on dates as I used to. So he ended up spending a lot more time around camp with me, which the kids loved. Just watching him playing with some of the younger kids at camp tugged on my heartstrings. He was really great with them and always let them win. 

The only down side to having Alex at camp half-blood was that it gave Dionysus the opportunity to spy on us. I could feel his eyes on me whenever Alex was around, he was watching us. Although my parents had given their approval of Alex I knew that after the Connor incident they didn’t trust him at all and they were watching us together very closely. So I knew that Dionysus was jumping for joy at this new arrangement and I was sure that he was reporting his findings back to the other gods, even if they were in the largest argument that Olympus had seen for a thousand years, they still put my well-being first. I wasn’t sure whether to feel loved and cared for or indignant about the complete invasion of privacy. I settled for feeling loved, even if I was slightly annoyed to know that I could never be really alone with Alex as Dionysus would always be following us, I figured that it wasn’t worth starting a fight over. What with all the other things going on in Olympus right now, the last thing we needed was for me to throw a teenage tantrum about my boyfriend.

Dionysus’ spying was a constant reminder to me of how my previous relationship had failed and without even meaning to I found myself comparing Connor to Alex. Would Alex turn out to be the same as Connor? I didn’t think so, but then I hadn’t expected Connor to turn out the way he did either. No. Alex was nothing like Connor. He was sweet and kind and great with the campers and seemed to really like me for me, everything that Connor had only pretended to be.

It was one of those rare moments in my day when I didn’t have to do anything. The activities were all being dealt with by others, there were no parents complaining and the kids all seemed to be getting along, in short everything was perfect. I was sitting in the stands of the arena, watching Alex taking a sword fighting class with some of the older campers and running them through some drills. Alex glanced up, caught my eye and grinned, making me catch my breath. He was heartbreakingly beautiful when he smiled, and it always made my heart beat wildly in my chest. I was seriously falling for this boy and there was nothing I could do about it.