Impatient Pacing

• Dedicated to Denise Mason

Mom

Stalking the fence line, sniffing the air, questioning each and every individual that crossed the threshold of the Stronghold. New provisions, new people and new supplies were adding daily to the defensive line of the Stronghold, but no new news. A new electrical fence was nearing completion with the addition of solar panels from a warehouse 2 towns over. Amid it all though, there was no one, not one single person that arrived from any of the larger cities. No word, no information of their traveling groups going-ons. We were in the darke to the outside world. And neither of her children had returned or sent word of what was happening out there. Something was not right. Even with all their progress, all of their rebuilding, all of the lives they'd saved. Something was wrong! She needed to talk to Tristan. They needed to prepare for the worst, because she could feel it coming.

The ground shook. A few moments of true violence and then a few resounding tremors to knock the remaining people off their feet.

"Oh my God!" One of the women screamed. Pointing to the sky, farther off in the distance. A cloud, a deep burgundy that reminded one of blood. It rose thousands of feet, until it touched the top of the skyline and disappeared. Evil was traveling.

© 2014, Aelfwynn MacGregor, AMB