Day 1: Noon

Finally Ash answered his phone. After arriving at school, he had discovered, along with every other student present, that the doors were locked, no answer was coming from the intercom. So Jason and his mother, offered to give him a ride back to their house, until they figured out what was going on. Relief poured through the entire house.

But Jason's mother refused to leave the house after she saw the broadcasts. One of us was going to have to go and get Ash. It was more a fight of who had to stay, rather than who had to go. We are fiercely protective of each other, afterall.

So while they decided. We got to work preparing. Burning the daylight hours had to be filled with progress. And there was so much we did not know about what was happening. Did the zombies have any weaknesses? Was there a "cure?" Were we all going to get infected and end up having to kill the ones we loved?

We really saw no one out as we peered through the cracks in the wooden slats across the windows. It was already a ghost town. The last strain had decimated our neighborhood. Only a few families remained in this area. It was weird, the silence around us. And dad was getting ready to go. He didn't win the argument, he hands down pulled out the "dad card!" He'd been digging in the gargae. He had metal doll rods thar he was putting across the Rover's windows and securing them with his welder. We didn't mess around. We had no idea what was coming...

© 2014, Aelfwynn MacGregor, AMB