Chapter 39

Walking into my office seems so different as I had not been here in a while but I was ready to start work again with a clear mind without distractions. I didn't inform Micheal about my plans but I didn't think he would mind that much though. I sat down on my seat and proceeded to do what I had for today.
Being so engrossed in my work, I hardly noticed my phone ringing. I picked it up and saw it was Micheal. Answering it, he didn't even give me time to reply as I heard him shouting;
"Charlotte, where the hell are you? I've been to your apartment and you are not there and I've been calling for a while now. Where could you have possibly gone to? After the whole drama yesterday, you refused to talk to me and now you have disappeared? I can't have this kind of behaviour, this is totally ina-
"Totally what huh? Don't act like you own me because you don't. I didn't tell you what happened yesterday, so what? And last I checked, I have every right to go out of my own house as I please. You are not the boss of me" I didn't mean to shout at him but him shouting at me just ignited me. Why would he shout at me?
"Charlie, just tell me where you are. I'll come pick you up" his voice was considerably softer now
I told him where I was which was his company and cut the call. I was really mad- fine we were dating but he shouldn't act like he's the boss of me.
It wasn't long after we spoke that he came barging into my office. He looked a mess- his hair was dishevealed, his suit has creases on them, his tie was loosened. I felt bad about shouting at him at that moment- it wasn't his fault that he was angry. I would have gotten angry too if I were in his shoes.
"Why didn't you tell me you were coming in to work today and why weren't you picking my calls? I was so worried"
"I'm sorry for not telling you. I didn't know you would come looking for me after yesterday and I really wanted to work; I'm tired of just staying at home" I replied him
We just stood looking at each other- nobody was talking just staring. He finally broke the silence by asking what happened yesterday.
"Charlie, who was it yesterday? Why didn't you tell me anything? I was really bothered when you didn't tell me anything and you came back with flowers".
With a heavy sigh, I opened my mouth and told him eveything that happened right from the very beginning.
"My mum died when I was a little girl and since then I never opened myself up to anybody......
I told him about my dad distancing himself from me, how I met Emily and later Christian, our relationship, the argument that changed our relationship, the strange behaviour of Emily and Christian, both of them kissing during the party, sleeping with eachother and finally moving to Paris and how I met him yesterday.
When I was done, he just took my hands and squeezed it delicately letting me know that he was with me. He pulled me to him and hugged me fiercely. After a while, he spoke;
"No matter what happens, I'll always be here for you and I'll stand by your side. Don't you ever forget that. Don't hide anything from me and don't hold back. I love you Charlie"
I was too deep in my feelings to reply him but he just wiped my tears away and kissed me slowly. I had never felt so loved in that moment and there and then I knew that Micheal was the one. I didn't want to go back to Christian and I made up my mind not to.