Chapter 36

I honestly didn't know why I was so anxious. I just couldn't wait to see the person yet at the same time I didn't want to see the person maybe because my gut was telling me I already knew the person.
I had checked my phone the night before and discovered that the stranger had sent the location of our meeting point already so I didn't have to ask him for it.
We got to the location and I didn't even notice that I was shaking until Micheal's hand came down on mine.
"Hey baby, you need to calm down. I'll with you all the way; if you need me, I'm just a call away or you could message me and I'll be right there. Just relax ok? There's nothing to worry about." His soothing voice did wonders to me and coupled with the way he was drawing circles on my knuckles made me feel a whole lot better.
I smiled at him and pulled him in for a kiss- a short one but still emotional. Its like he was making me know that I wasn't alone and I was glad for that support.
"I love you Micheal" I said as I released him and got out of the car. My confidence restored, I texted the stranger that I was already there. I looked around and it was a pretty public place- an outdoor cafe with tables and chairs arranged neatly. I took a sit and waited for the stranger to show up.
To keep myself busy and my mind from wandering, I absentmindedly started going through my phone till a shadow entered my line of view. I looked up in time to see a man taking a seat across the table I picked. My heart rate increased as I waited for the man to raise up his head.
As he looked up, I saw his golden brown hair, his baby blue eyes which looked all too familiar and his lips- those lips were etched in my memory. I stared for a while in shock before my brain finally placed the pieces together- I was staring at Christian; my crush for a whole year and my boyfriend of two years; the same Christian that cheated on me with my best friend, Emily just because I wouldn't sleep with him at least that's what Emily said; the same Christian I opened up to about my mother's death; the same Christian that hurt me so bad I moved to another country.
"C-C-Christian??? I stuttered.
I had a hunch that the stranger was gonna be Christian but looking at him right now made me realize that my heart wasn't ready to face him. He was still the same handsome boy I fell in love with years ago. How he managed to look so fine was beyond me and I wished for him to be ugly so I wouldn't have to deal with his beauty as I tried to keep my anger directed at him but its like the heavens decided to punish me because he still looked so breathtaking.
I willed myself to remember how he hurt me so I wouldn't be sidetracked and I realized that I had not gotten over the pain; it was like everything that happened was just yesterday. Images of him kissing Emily in the garden and them having sex in his room flashed through my eyes and my tears started to fall. I wasn't prepared for this kind of emotional breakdown.
Christian saw my tears and without a word, he brought out an handkerchief for me to use. Ignoring the feel of his hand as his fingers brushed mine when he gave it to me, I dabbed my face grateful for the fact that I didn't wear make-up today; I would have been a terrible mess.
When I had composed myself, I faced him to see a bouquet of white roses on the table. I got so angry at his gesture and I blurted out,
"Why are you bringing me flowers? How did you find me? Why are you here? What do you want from me? If you think I've forgotten how you betrayed me years ago then you must be joking. I want nothing to do with you, clearly I've moved on."
Who does he think he is just showing up with flowers? What nerve! He must have some guts coming here after all he did.
His expression screamed pain before he masked it and started to talk.
"Charlie, I'm so sorry; I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to cheat on you. I just- I- Charlie please just forgive me"
Tears were streaming down his face now and I didn't even know what to do aside from just watching him.