Chapter 23

My month leave was over and although dad wasn't still better I had to get back to work.
Micheal- or should I say my boss visited several times before I resumed work. He employed someone who would prepare breakfast for my dad and also give him his medications at the right time when I had to resume work.
During his visits he would stay beside dad talking to him about God knows what with dad smiling. It looked like he had won dad over because dad won't stop talking about him.
We got close over his numerous visits and I guess its safe to say we are friends now. He's so caring; trying to keep my dad company and preparing my dad's meal at times. When dad is resting, we would go to the swimming pool and just talk about anything. 
I discovered a lot about him- he was the oldest child of his parents and he had a kid sister who is just 4 years and from his talks it was really obvious he adored her. He took over his dad's company immediately he graduated college and now his family are in Los Angeles with his sister. He visits them once in two months.
I honestly felt so comfortable around him and when he asked about the lady in the family picture he saw, I told him about mum's death and surprisingly I didn't cry which is a good thing.
Today is the first time of going to work after a month so I woke up early to prepare. I took my bath and wore a red top with a black skirt and a black jacket. I paired it with my black pumps and a red bag. I curled my hair and left it to flow down my shoulders and applied my mascara and red lipstick. I sprayed a little perfume on my clothes and I was ready.
I went into dad's room to check up on him before going.
"Dad I'm off to work now but I'll be back before you know it. Get well for me daddy, I don't want to lose you too" I whispered quietly before pecking his forehead and turning around to go.
It hurts me to see him like this. He could still walk but the doctor said its best for him not to stress himself so he doesn't get up until when necessary like to ease himself or to take his bath.
"Baby?" I turned to the source of the voice. I thought he was asleep
"Yes daddy"
"I'll be fine baby but don't put your life on hold for me. Live your life dear"
A frown etched itself upon my face as I struggled to understand what he was on about. As if sensing my confusion, he patted an empty spot on his bed for me to sit on. As I sat down he continued;
"With all my discussions with Micheal these last few days, I noticed his fondness for you. He loves you baby and I can see that he is sincere. I'm not telling you to jump into a relationship with him but baby give him a chance. I see the way he looks at you when he thinks no one is looking, the way he smiles when you laugh at something funny, how he comes here most of the time just to see you under the pretence of taking care of me- he looks after me because he knows you cherish me and he wants to make you happy".
My face was that of surprise- like I was not expecting this kind of conversation at all.
"Why are you telling me all this papa?"
"Baby, you deserve happiness. After Christian's drama, you were left heartbroken. It hurt me so much to see you like that knowing I could not do anything to mend you. I know you also have a soft spot for Micheal but for whatever reason, you are scared and that's why you are holding back. I just want to see you happy once again, I want to see my baby girl who was not afraid of love because love is a beautiful thing. Don't give up on love baby girl"
I felt overwhelmed after hearing dad talk about this. Were my expressions that obvious? I knew I was attracted to Micheal- he was a fine sight to look at, what type of lady wouldn't find him attractive?
But I just can't see myself in another relationship after Chris happened. I don't want to be left vulnerable because of love. I never even knew Micheal was attracted to me too. When he left the house finally after spending time with me and dad he never mentioned anything about it and apart from the first day he flirted with me, he didn't act that way again do how come dad noticed anything? Maybe dad was just seeing things that were not there. Since I was already a bit late for work, I just nodded and left his work but not before pecking him on his forehead again.
In a daze like state still thinking about what he said concerning Micheal harbouring feelings for me; I gave instructions to the care taker and drove off to the office.