Chapter 27

The ride to the hospital was looking so long to me and the atmosphere in the car was so tense. I was silently weeping and just hoping that dad would be alright. I would have not left him alone for a date with Micheal; I would never forgive myself if anything happens to him.
We arrived at the hospital in some minutes time and I ran in to see the doctor in charge of my dad's case. I saw the caretaker instead;
"Where is he? What happened? Is h-"
I saw the same doctor that treated my dad last time and ran to him.
"Doctor! Doctor! can I see my dad? is he gonna be okay?" I asked
"You must be his daughter. Just follow right this way miss"
My heart beat rate went up instantly; the last time I followed him anywhere it wasn't good news so don't blame me for having a sense of fear.
"Is everything ok with him? Is he gonna be ok? Please talk to me doctor"
He totally ignored me till we got to the room where dad was being treated. He ushered me in and started checking his vitals. The silence was too much for me to bear and with every beep of the machine, I got more and more worried.
Suddenly he turned to me and said the most terrifying word I think I could ever hear.
"Miss, like I said before he is not looking good. He has a ruptured blood vessel causing him to bleed inside his brain. We've tried all we can but its beyond our control. With my calculations, he should have approximately a week or two to live. I'm sorry miss but there's nothing I can do to help"
"B-b-but you are a d-doctor, there must be something you can do to help. Is it money? We have loads of it. I will give you anything please just save him please; he's all that I h...." I broke down in tears not even completing my sentence. I felt really weak and drained.
"Miss I'm sorry but there's really nothing I can do; I've done all. I suggest you leave him here at the hospital and still visit him daily for last memories or hopefully a miracle happens"
"Excuse me miss" he said and left the room.
Fate must really not like me; I lost my mum years ago and now dad is about to go too?
My tears were making my vision too blurry for me to see; I tried wiping them away but fresh ones came immediately after. The door opened and I was engulfed into a hug that felt so familiar; Micheal. I can't believe I even forgot about him with everything that happened. He just kept on drawing comforting circles on my back till I calmed down. When I was calm, he led me to a seat and sat me down while still holding my hands.
"I just came back from the doctor's office; I heard what happened" he started softly.
Another sob escaped my lips but his hands were quick to wipe my tears away.
"Shuussh dear, its gonna be okay you just have to relax. If what the doctor said its actually the case then you have to be strong for your dad. You wouldn't want his last days to be so gloomy. Make the best out of this; make him happy, make his smile. Let his last days be full of fun"
As much as I didn't want to think of dad dying, Micheal was actually right. If what the doctor said is the truth then what use would be my tears? They certainly can't bring him back and make him well. I will definitely have to be strong for him.
I sobered up a bit and tried- the keyword there being TRIED- to crack a smile with Micheal's urging. As we stood side by side, I heard a soft chuckle behind me which made me jump in fright.
I looked back and saw dad still chuckling;
"It took you guys long enough" he said smiling
"Jesus...dad don't do that ever again; you scared me" I said shakily
"Don't do what; the hospital thing or the interrupting part thingy?" He questioned while wriggling his eyebrows
I ignored his statement totally and made my way over to his bed. Seeing him on the hospital bed brought back a lot of bad memories but I pushed them far down into my chest. Like Micheal said, I have to be strong for him- actually for the both of us.
I held his hands in mine and just stared at it not knowing what to say.
Micheal left to give us some privacy which I was most grateful for.
My eyes were welling up with tears fast and my throat was clogging up the longer I looked at him.
"Dad-"
"Shusshh baby girl, you don't have to say anything. I heard everything, the doctor told me"
The words of the doctor played all over in my head and realization dawned on me. I'm actually going to lose my dad; my only family left.
I burst into tears without even remembering  Micheal's words. All I thought about was the fact that in a week's time I'm gonna be left alone and I couldn't do a thing about it. The pain of losing a loved one is unexplainable but when you are aware of their death and still can't help it but watch them die is so much terrifying than that.
"Baby girl calm down, I'm not going anywhere yet; I'm still with you. I'm not letting you go soon"
Instead of his words to have a soothing effect of me, they did the opposite. I just don't want him to go.
"I can't let you go dad, I love you so much. Please don't leave me" I sobbed uncontrollably.
Right there and then, I made up my mind not to leave him alone; I was going to be by his side till his last breath.