Chapter 8

Getting downstairs, I saw Chris already in the living room. He was wearing a black T-shirt with jeans and his black converse; he really looked hot. Smiling he looked at me, "You look hot too Charlie"
Jeez!!! Did I just voice out my thoughts
"Yes you did"
Unable to keep the blush from creeping up my cheeks, I looked down embarrassed. Why do I keep getting into this situation?? I need to keep myself in check when I am around him.
Chuckling, he raised up my head and pecked my forehead, "You really look cute when you talk to yourself Charlie"
I refrained from saying any other thing to avoid further embarrassment and I started feeling self conscious when he kept staring at me.
Before it could get uncomfortable, someone coughed behind us. Looking back I saw my dad; Thank God!! Trust dad to be my lifesaver. Both of them started laughing and I just knew I had said that out again.
I just looked at my dad and he straightened up before introducing himself to Chris.
"Good morning Christian, why don't you have a seat and make yourself comfortable"
Christian replied politely and my dad sent me to check if breakfast was ready. I suppose they were about to have that man to man conversation and he didn't want me to be there.
I turned away but not before hearing my dad say, "I hear you are dating my daughter"
I couldn't hear the rest as their voices were not too loud and I was already close to the kitchen.
Everything was ready and I helped Carmen set the table for breakfast. She made her famous pancakes. We had strawberries; my favorite, coffee and tea. The syrup was already on the table and we had milk. When we were done, I went back to the living room to see my dad laughing at something Chris said. I miss hearing him laugh; it was so care free and lively. Something tugged at my heart and I felt my tears coming but I pushed it back. Today is a start of new beginning, I should be happy. Smiling I called them both for breakfast.
Breakfast went smoothly and soon we were all laughing. It made me happy. When everything was done, I went back to my room to get my phone and purse.
I got back downstairs and found Chris looking at a picture that hadn't been there this morning. It was a picture of my mom- the day we went to the park. I remember taking that picture and sending the picture to dad; he must have had it printed and framed. She was so happy and smiling at the camera.
"Is that you?"
I didn't even know Chris was talking to me. I looked at him and he asked again
"Is that you? You looked so beautiful there"
I looked at the picture again, he's actually correct. We had the same looks, I took everything from her apart from my eyes. I took my dad's blue eyes while mom had grey eyes.
With my heavy heart, I replied with a simple mom without saying any other thing. Chris not noticing my change of mood asked another question about the picture but I couldn't take it any more and I excused myself to go outside to cry.
No matter how much I tried to stop the tears they still poured out. I cried bitter tears. Losing my mom at first was very painful. I didn't deal with it then maybe that's why it's still very painful. Seeing that picture brought back numerous memories that I just wanted to forget.
I felt someone sitting beside me. Without looking up, I knew it was Chris with the sparks I felt when his hands engulfed me into a hug and his scent which smelt like vanilla. He made me feel safe and comforted. He patiently waited for me to calm down and when I was done, he took my hands leading me to his car.

               ------------------
The beach was very calming, watching the waves roll over and over was enough to calm my nerves. Chris was so patient with me, not saying anything with his mouth but his eyes were asking different questions.
Not wanting to keep him in suspense, I started the story with four words, "that was my mom"
He looked at me nodding for me to continue.
"She died when I was eight in a car accident. I bugged her to take me to the park that afternoon for a while before she accepted. We had a lot of fun before we started going back home at night. I remember calling her while driving to look at something. She turned to me and just that second cost her her life. A truck had hit the vehicle; when the ambulance came, they took us to the hospital. I was at the back seat so I only sustained few injuries but she didn't survive it. The truck hit the driver's side which caused great impact. She died in the hos- I couldn't complete it because I started crying again. I remember that night and I don't think I can ever forget.
" I just feel it was all my fault. Maybe if i didn't bug her so much that day or maybe if I didn't distract her. I don't even know. That picture you saw was taken that day at the park by me. Dad had it framed"
I was grateful Chris allowed me to finish before saying anything. He hugged me and when I looked up at him, his eyes held pain for me and regret
"Charlie, I'm so sorry for asking about the picture"
"No, its OK. Its good to cry and it wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known about it so don't apologized" I said trying to smile
It felt good sharing my deepest pain to a stranger- well Chris is not a stranger but you get what I mean.
A while later we bought ice cream before playing in the water. When he brought me back home I was beyond exhausted; both physically and emotionally. I had fun with Chris- when I mean fun, I mean a lot of fun and I had cried a lot today but in the end it was worth it. I felt a whole lot better than I did in the morning; like a burden had been removed from me.
I had dinner with my dad before heading back to my room for a peaceful slumber.

The last two chapters were too emotional right?? I actually felt like crying when writing it, I guess it touched me too. Losing a loved one is really painful. Anyways how did you guys like those chapters, let me know in the comment section and don't forget to vote OK?
Thanks for your support. Love you so much......
-Ife