chapter twenty five

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

- present day -

Sawyer sat at her desk in her room, finishing up some history homework and saw her phone start to buzz. She picked it up and read the called ID 'Ty❤️'. She swiped the green and held it up to her phone.

"Hey, hun." Sawyer smiles over the phone, of course he couldn't tell but she was happy to hear his voice. They still weren't together as a couple. They hadn't kissed or anything, they were just really close.

"Did you hear what happened?" Tyler asked and she could hear him over the phone, he sounded concerned. Almost scared.

"Heard what?" She asks, standing up and walking around her room.

"Bryce's body was found." Tyler days and Sawyer's eyes went wide open. She shakes her head and shrugs it off.

"What....what do you mean his body was found?" Sawyer asked and shook her head many times.

"Sawyer, he's dead." Tyler tells her and moves closer to her.

"No he's not." Sawyer shakes her head and starts pacing around the room. "No. He can't be dead."

"S." Tyler says softly as she sits down. He moves to sit next to her. She lays her shoulder on him.

She felt terrible for being sad about it. Bryce did some terrible things, but no human deserved to die in Sawyer's mind. Seven months ago, she wouldn't bat an eye, it would've been an 'oh well' situation. But he really helped Tyler and he helped Sawyer too. So yes, she was sad.

"I wonder who killed him." Sawyer says and they both nodded. But both of them had their own idea of what happened. And it seemed they both had an idea of the same person.

They just sat there in silence together, they knew this was going to mean a lot of shit for their friend group. But no one could find out about how close they got to Bryce in his last months.

- FLASHBACK -

After school, she went to practice and by the time it ended, it was already 4:30. Sawyer went by Starbucks before heading home. She was only home for about fifteen minutes, before her door bell rang and she noticed a blue Jeep in her driveway.

She opened the door and let him in. Since her family wasn't home, they sat at her dinner table. Of course, she was a bit afraid of him given his past but neither of them were going to talk about it.

He looked around her house, in elementary and middle school, he had been there many times since they were such good friends. More pictures were put on the wall of her and her sisters. There were awards and metals all with 'Sawyer Flynn' written on it.

"Want anything to drink?" Sawyer asks as she sips on her coffee. His response was just a head shake no. "I guess there's really no good way to start the conversation."

"What Monty did - it was sick." Bryce says, Sawyer nods, knowing he wasn't going to appreciate what she was going to say. But she said it off of impulse.

"Like what you did to Jessica?" She blurts out before covering her mouth. "I'm so sorry. That was incredibly rude and very not relevant."

"No, you're right. And I know you didn't want to here this speech about how I'm trying to change. But I want to help Tyler, that's why I'm here." Bryce tells her and she bites her lip with nervousness before nodding.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry. Did you ever think Month was capable of something like this? Cause I didn't. Yeah, he was a douche sometimes but we both have known him for a really long time. I wanted to believe he was a good guy, I always thought no matter what he had love in him. For me, for you. Maybe just us but...I don't know." Sawyer says and looks down at the table.

"He did. I just don't think he loved you in the way you wanted him too. I don't think he knew how to, I don't think he was capable of it. But I think you caring about him was a real teaching lesson in his life. A little bit like us right now." Bryce tells her and she looks back up at him.

"But I don't care. I don't care about Monty anymore, I don't care about you either. Just like you guys. Not caring about anyone. No one except Tyler. " Sawyer says aggressively.

"No. You're not. You never could be. Why do you think you stayed with Monty when he treated you so terribly? Not because you were desperate and not because you were scared, because you care and that's who you are. That's why you helped Justin get off drugs, why you helped Hannah no matter what rumors went on, why you still even associate with me. And why you want to help Tyler so much. It's who you are. And I know you're going to get Monty for this, you're the only one that can." Bryce finishes.

Was Bryce Walker really giving her a lecture on who she really was? Either Ani had a huge effect on him or that private school must be doing him some favors.

"So what am I gonna do?" Sawyer asks him.

"I think I've got that part figured out." Bryce tells her.

- present day -

After Tyler left that day, Sawyer just kinda sat there. Just took the night to process things. And she kept replaying the voicemail from that night. Homecoming night.

"Hey, Sawyer. It's Bryce. Uh, I think since we talked to Monty, we're probably not gonna be talking much anymore. Just let me know if he messes with Tyler. Or you. Thanks for caring, Sawyer."

Sawyer took a deep breath and replayed it multiple times afterwards before calling Tyler.
It was around 10:00 but she assumed he was still awake.

"Hey, S. Everything okay?" He asked her, sounding groggy over the phone.

"I think I know who killed Bryce." Sawyer states almost positively.

// hey guys!! i hope you guys still enjoy the book, next chapter is going to be super focused on Tyler and sawyer, I just always love developing a character more. I have a really good idea for a plot within the story but I feel like it may get a big backlash? So if you're interested to give me advice, private message me!!! Thanks for everything guys! Remember to give feedback, comment and like! Love you guys!

word count : 1094