Chapter 19

*** My friend SageTaylor has an amazing book called Broken, it is a Werewolf Romance and it has made me cry several times as she read parts to me (she is my room mate and reading to eachother as we get chapters done is just what we do) Please check it out!!! Thank you ***

IrishEyez

Chapter 19

While sitting with my mom, I felt the presence of someone that was walking up to us with very quiet feet. I turned to see Mathias and my dad standing behind us in only shorts.

My dad came up to mom and picked her up bridal style, carrying her back to the bunker. He was whispering into her ears and she just nodded her head in response. I could not hear what he was telling her, but I am sure that he was trying to reassure her that she only did what she needed to, to survive.

As I watched him walk away with her I felt a pair of muscular arms wrap around my waist and pull me back. “You alright my love?” He whispered into my ear.

I let out a deep sigh, closing my eyes and leaned my head back into his chest. “I just want to crawl into bed and forget that today ever happened.” He handed me the shirt that he had been holding and helped me slip it on.

“I will walk you back, and then I need to come back out and help with the clean up. Are you going to be okay by yourself for a while?” He asked as he took my hand.

“I will be, as long as you come back. A good shower and some sleep will do me some good, but all I really need is you there with me.” My voice was shaking and I could feel the threatening tears bubbling over.

He turned me and had a look of sorrow as he wiped the tears from my cheeks. “Ellis, you really did a wonderful thing here today and you should walk with your head held high. For generations to come, you alone will be known as the woman that took down a monster. Please, do not cry for any of this.”

I may have killed a monster, but at what cost? There were werewolf and human bodies littering the woods around us and it killed me to know that I had taken another life. Looking back up to him, I could not help but shake my head. “I… I… I killed Mathias, I killed three humans! I am a horrible person and I don’t know how you can even stand to look at me right now. I cannot even stand to be near myself, but I have no choice in that matter!” The more I spoke, the louder I got and all too soon, I was yelling.

He didn’t say anything to me as I screamed out my piece. When I finished he gently brushed a stray hair out of my face, then gently cupped my face into the palm of his callused hands. “If that were the case, then you would not be able to look at me for an eternity. Do you have any idea how many of them I have killed in my lifetime?”

“I really don’t think that I want to know Mathias, I don’t want to know how many lives you have taken.”

“I don’t see it that way Ellis, for every Hunter that is killed, there may be a werewolf that is saved. That is what has kept me sane every time I have had to kill one of them. They would not hesitate to kill us… remember that honey.” He pulled me into a hug and said nothing else.

He was right; I could not look at them as normal people that we might pass on the street. They had a vendetta against us that was unfair and made from lies.

I held him tighter and looked around again. There were many of us walking through the dead to make sure that they were not their loved ones. I saw a woman crying at the body of her dead husband. Her wails pierced my heart and brought fresh tears to the surface.