Chapter 84

“You’re good, Bruce, you’re good,” said Lolo, the former boxer, while coaching a boy in his basement.

Lolo didn’t coach just anyone. The boys had a boxing club for that. His basement was open only to those that Lolo identified as having a love of boxing. Those for whom fists were just a means. Those that boxed from the heart.

“Hey, you!” roared Lolo’s wife, coming down the stairs with curlers in her hair. “You are to take the car to the Inspectorate immediately! Do you know that there’s a war starting?! Do you know that your car is already two months out of season?! Do you think that the inspectors will look the other way again?!”

“Leave me alone, woman. You and that car… Those are all my people… Excellent, kid… That’s it! Hit it! Hit it! That’s it!” said Lolo, while Bruce ran around him, punching the gloves he held up.

“Enough with that nonsense! Get out of that basement! First go buy some sour cream, then go return the car!”

“Man, you’re such a drag,” said Lolo, while taking off his gloves. “Don’t ever get married, Bruce. Listen to what Mr. Lolo has to say. Keep hitting the sack, I’ll be back in a moment.”

Lolo ran up the stairs without looking at his wife, and entered the hallway. He was surprised that his wallet was not on the dresser, next to his car keys. He checked the pockets of his pants, which were lying on the back of the armchair in the living room.

“What are you fussing about there?” his wife asked, having come up from the basement.

“Well… I can’t find my wallet.”

“You lost your wallet?!” his wife shouted.

“Well… I didn’t… I didn’t…” Lolo searched around the living room with his eyes. “It must be in the car…” he said, and took the keys from the dresser and went out to the car, which was parked in front of the house on their peaceful street.

“Moron!” said his wife and returned to the kitchen.

Sayash and Lucky were dozing in the shade. Lucky only opened his eyes half-way when he heard Lolo’s noisy wife, and Sayash didn’t even move.