Chapter 63

Screens across the planet Earth went dark and silent. But for less than a minute. After that they displayed the image from a camera mounted on a crane on Short Street. The unpleasant silence was interrupted by the television commentator of the broadcast of President Xing’s last election speech.

“Dear viewers, we have technical problems with the reception of the signal from Mr. Kaella’s submarine. While we are waiting to reestablish the connection and the continuation of the interview, let’s take a look at how Consumers are greeting President Xing.”

The motorcade was just entering Short Street. At the moment when the presidential car passed by fence beyond which pupils from the fifth and eighth grade were waving Earth flags, the screens across the planet again went dark and silent.

“Horrific crime! Heinous!” shouted the shocked anchor from the studio of Capital City TV, after several minutes of darkness. “An assassination has been carried out against President Xing! Here’s the footage from our helicopter!”

Short Street was no more. In its place, beneath a cloud of smoke, was a deep crater. In some places, where the wind had cleared the dust, pieces of the surrounding buildings could be seen scattered at the bottom of the crater.

The footage from the Capital City TV helicopter suddenly disappeared, and the screens displayed the text “We are awaiting an address from President Erivan.”