Chapter 42

The staff members, better yet brothers in arms and friends, because they had been roaming the planet for years as part of Pascal’s freedom caravan, and diligently, tirelessly, and wholeheartedly carried out their tasks, were gradually calming down on the plane and approving Raul’s and Pascal’s decision as the most rational one at the moment.

“There, you see for yourself, that now, when you have all the information, that we acted appropriately. Each of you would have done the same, right?” Raul said contentedly.

“I would, undoubtedly,” said Jagdish.

“I don’t know... I don’t know. The only thing that is important to me is for this to pass as quickly as possible. So that I can be at Pascal’s side again, all the time. Only then will I be at ease,” Liam sighed.

“Can someone finally tell me why Svetlana was devastated? And where did she go?” asked Svetlana’s secretary, Jin.

“What do you mean ‘devastated’?” the other secretaries shouted all at once.

“I only know what Pascal told me, Jin. And I don’t know where Svetlana went. And the fact that she was crying, that she was devastated, that is only their affair. It is not up to us to discuss that.”

“I have the right to know what happened to Svetlana. She’s my best friend,” Jin said unremittingly. “Perhaps last night someone else saw or heard something… or knows something? Someone from security? Liam?”

“We only know that she left the hotel in the early morning,” Liam said.

“Jin, what do you mean ‘did someone else see’? Who saw Svetlana last night?” anxiously asked Marina, a secretary, looking at her colleagues Phoebe, Eve and Dorika, who, also surprised, shrugged their shoulders and shook their heads.

“Gloria saw her,” Jin said.

“Gloria?!” shouted Marina, Phoebe, Eve and Dorika, looking at their colleague in disbelief.

“How could you not tell us?” Phoebe asked Gloria in an excited tone, still not believing that such a thing was possible.

“I’m sorry… How could I tell you when Raul said that she left Pascal?”

“You should have, in any case…” Phoebe was relentless.

“Alright, let it go, Phoebe. Come on, tell us what you saw,” Eve said impatiently.

“I was just falling asleep…”

“What do you mean ‘you were falling asleep’?!” Dorika exclaimed in shock. “So, you were in our room, and you didn’t wake me?! How could you?! How?! Margot, please, I don’t want to sleep in the same room as this person… I mean, in the next hotel. Don’t talk to me anymore, Gloria! Is that clear?”

“Dorika… forgive me… I’ll explain everything in private. I was waiting for something… I can’t talk about that right now…”

“I’m not interested! Now you’re going to make things up!” Dorika raged on.

“I’m not making anything up, I just didn’t want to…”

“Wait! Wait, Gloria!” Raul interrupted. “You girls will go on for days. Now tell me, what did Svetlana look like? Was she really in tears?”

“Yes, she was. She was desperate… miserable. As though it wasn’t her, as though…”

“Do you hear, Raul? That’s not a girl that left…” Margot said.

“She left someone?” said Gloria. “Pascal? Nonsense! Who could leave Pascal? I’m sorry, Raul, but you are very naïve if you really believed Pascal.”

“You think?” Raul asked.

“Of course!” said Gloria with the authority of an expert. “And even if she had left him, she wouldn’t be crying because of it. I’ve left guys… I mean, it’s unpleasant while you tell them, but when that moment passes, you immediately forget everything and think about him. I mean, the new one… that you like. Right?” Gloria asked her colleagues.

“Exactly,” the girls confirmed.

“Alright, alright… You’re probably right,” Raul interrupted them. “Svetlana left for some reason of hers. It’s not important. What’s important is that she is safe. She’s neither with Pascal nor with us. No one will be looking for her,” said Raul. “Now please return to your seats. I have to think in peace about which city we should go to. Liam, I expect to hear your recommendations.”

“Very well,” said Liam.