Chapter 48

Bear heard a knock on the window and turned around. He saw Alpha standing next to the car. He rolled down the window.

“Hello, Alpha,” he said.

“Why are you sitting there, Bear? People have been telling me that you’re behaving strangely today.”

“Probably. And you know best why I’m sitting in the passenger seat.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You don’t understand? Didn’t you say last night that everything must look normal, as usual?”

“Yes, I did.”

“And this morning you killed Barney because of that.”

“Bear, that is how it has to be. Everyone understands that, only you…”

“Alpha, I understand it the best, trust me. So, where’s the adhesive tape?”

“What tape? What are you talking about?

“Where did you hide it last night? Admit it. Behind some pillar, under a car.”

“Why do you think it has to be you, Bear?

“I don’t think so. I’m volunteering. It is normal and usual that when the President goes somewhere with his family by car… like today, for example… to hold the election speech… it is normal for one of us to sit next to Barney in the passenger seat. So, I’m the volunteer.”

Alpha was silent, and the other colleagues, when they heard this, one by one entered the two cars that would escort the presidential car, or put helmets on their heads and mounted motorcycles.

Only Iceman ran over and shouter:

“Alpha, we can’t do it like that! Come on, let’s draw straws… rock-paper-scissors. Why does it have to be Bear? Why are you being silly, Bear? Get out of the car!”

“Iceman, please go. It’s difficult enough. I’ve decided. Go.”

“Everyone in position, Iceman,” Alpha said. “That’s an order. It has to be one of us. Bear has volunteered.”

Iceman turned and walked to his car, without saying another word.

“Alpha, tell me, who did you have in mind?”

“No one, Bear. I was going to say that someone should check how the driver is taped…”

“Barney.”

“Barney. And whoever sat… there…”

“Yes?”

“I’d kill him.”

“So, you’d leave it up to chance?”

“Yes.”

“And where’s the tape? Time’s running out…”

Alpha looked at his watch.

“How much time do we have before departure? You have probably planned everything down to the minute, right? There can be no dilemma that the president and his family were killed by Non-Consumers.”

“There can’t be, Bear. These are historical moments.”

“Clearly. That is why I want to be a hero. How much longer?”

“Two minutes.”

“Where’s your tape?”

“Behind that pillar,” Alpha motioned with his hand.

“You don’t need to waste time to go to the pillar and back. Here it is. I brought it for you. Hold the tape, Barney,” said Bear, placing the roll in Barney’s legs. “Take out your gun, Alpha. You also need to tape me up. Time is running out.”

Alpha was sweating.

“You’re messing around, Alpha. Erivan is at his window, he’s looking at his watch and waiting for the presidential motorcade to leave the garage. And if it doesn’t leave on time, Erivan will call the Grasshopper.”

Alpha swiftly drew his gun and fired a bullet into Bear’s head.