Chapter 58

Pascal returned to the bathroom. As a well-behaved man he closed the door behind him so that he could urinate, even though he was alone in the suite. While he was washing his hands, he realized that the soaps, gels, shampoos, toothpaste which were arranged in a large box on the dresser – were contemporary. From this season.

“Come on, Pascal,” he forced himself. “Come on, play detective. Did you see how you forgot about her for a moment at least, while you were trying to guess where you were. It hurt less, at least for a moment. Come on… you see that the soaps are new. What can you deduce from that, Pascal?”

“I conclude that this apartment was prepared for me by someone,” Pascal spoke to himself. He pretended that he was not alone and strived for the other person not to notice that he was only thinking about her.

“Excellent,” said the imaginary person and asked “And what do you think, who prepared it, Pascal?”

“What do you mean ‘who’? Seneca and Raul.”

“Is that right? Seneca and Raul? And where did they get this shelter?” said the counterpart curiously.

“Raul certainly doesn’t have it,” Pascal answered obediently. “And Seneca… why wouldn’t the mayor of Megapolis have a shelter for him and his family? One of the most important functions in the State,” Pascal nodded to himself in the mirror.

“Aha! And you’re saying that he built it a long time ago?” the counterpart still wasn’t pleased with the response.

“Yes. At least ten years, maybe even more.”

“Aha! For himself and his wife – the bedroom, one room for the daughter and one for the two sons. Seneca now has one son, and ten years ago or more Senece didn’t have any children. Nor was he married.”

“He didn’t have any children, he wasn’t even married. You weren’t married either! Where was I then?! What was I doing at the time?! Why didn’t I rush to Megapolis and steal you from your parents’ house?! Why?!!!”