Octavian

Many of us hate this particular person in Camp Jupiter. If you're thinking of that stuff-toy-killing augur, you're absolutely right. His name? Octavian. Now, let's go find out more about this scrawny dude.

Disclaimer: All rights goes to Rick Riordan.

***

I'm Octavian. People refer me to as the power-hungry or stuff-toy-killing scrawny dude. Yes, they're absolutely correct. I dare admit I'm power-hungry. But it's for a purpose! How can someone who spent 7 years in Camp Jupiter, not want to be a praetor? And I read the future from a teddy bear. At least I don't kill real animals like what they used to do in the past. Want to see me with a dead tortoise instead? Or do you prefer harmless stuff toys?

Now, I know why most of you don't like me. It'a because of my distaste toward those graceus. Am I right? Especially that hero of your, Percy Jackson. Alright, so you want to know why I hate the Greeks so much? I'll tell you even if you say no anyway... That's just me. And there's only a word to describe me - annoying.

My mother and I were going to New York one day when I was eight.

"Oh, Octavian! I love New York. Come to think of it, we should've brought father along!" Mum said as she hopped around.

"Mum, don't you feel that strangeness in the atmosphere? As if something or another force is here?" I asked mum.

After all, mum was the third legacy of Apollo. So I'm obviously the fourth. Mum married a mortal. Yes, a mortal. But he doesn't know anything about the demigod world. We live near Camp Jupiter, and my dad never really did live with us. He always had his work to do in Asia. So when he was gone, mum and I would go to Camp Jupiter.

"What force? It's New York, Octavian! No forces here! Oh no, don't tell me you've been playing too much of the- mythomagic was that called? How could you think about Egyptians living in America!" Mum laughed.

"Yes, it's mythomagic. And they're not Egyptians! They're Greek!" I told mum.

"Perished long long ago. Thanks to our beloved ancestors," mum said.

"Yup, Miss Moony always told us to hate the Greeks," I agreed with mum.

"Indeed, she's been teaching you well," mum replied.

We continued walking along a street in New York, when suddenly, mum froze.

"Mum, you okay?" I asked her slowly.

"Yes, sure," she said walking quickly away.

Even though I didn't understand her, I started sprinting after her.

"We should be safe here, lot's of government officials," mum said, standing outside the Empire State Building.

"Do you think the Greeks have came back? I'm sure some survived..." I trailed.

"I honestly think so, we Romans -" before mum could continue her sentence, four demigods' came out.

I knew they were demigods because they had armour with them, and they had swords. Then, it clicked. They heard my conversation with mum, and could confirm that we were Romans! And they were... Greek demigods'.

"Ahh, the Romans. Stupid Romans!" One said as he charges towards mum.

Mum was one of the best legionnaire in Camp Jupiter, so I didn't have to worry. However, the Greeks had a different fighting style. They slashed and hacked more instead of stabbing, and they certainly ducked and rolled. Not what I was used to.

Either ways, all you gotta know is that on that day, my mum died in the hands of the filthy graceus. I never really did see them again. And I had no idea how they knew the Romans lived.

When I went back to Camp Jupiter, I trained much harder. Both my parents' were gone, okay, maybe dad wasn't, but he was as good as gone. Until one day, he decided to call and meet up with me.

"Hey Octavian! How is Camp?" Dad asked... Wait, how did he know I went to camp?

"How do you know I'm in camp?" I asked him.

"Well... See... I'm a demigod," dad replied shrugging.

"Of which parent?" I asked.

"Not important. Either ways, you got all your mum genes, so it really doesn't matter. Even if I told you, it'd be useless," dad told me.

"Which parent," I told him, forcing him to tell me.

"Aphrodite," dad chickened out.

"You just said it in Greek! You're a Greek demigod!" I shrieked.

"Sorry. But yes, I am," dad said, as he lowered his head.

"You better be sorry. They killed mum!" I screamed in agony of the pain.

"I'll leave you with something tomorrow, and I think it'd be best if we don't tell our respective camps about each other," dad said.

"As long as you leave, I'm fine, filthy graceus," I muttered.

The next day, dad gave me a teddy bear, and a card saying he was 'beary sorry'. Oh please... I'm not six! That day, I took a knife and slid open the teddies head, feeling my head boil when i looked at the present the filthy graceus gave me. Either ways, that day, Apollo must have taken pity on me, as he gave me my first prophecy. That's how I knew I'd be Camp Jupiter's augur. After all, mum died... I vowed to hate the Greeks, and be the praetor of Rome, so that I could form armies of strong Roman demigods, and go back to New York, to settle my scores with the Greeks.

I almost gave up on the going-into-New York-plan, and just be praetor, hate Greeks, and love killing stuff toys. But of course, Percy Jackson came. I remembered my hatred towards the Greeks. And he made me even angrier when he took the praetorship in a week. And I wanted revenge. For mum.

***

Loved him any better? Maybe not. That wasn't really what I wanted to do, anyway.