It's Over

"We need to leave." I take my ice cream.

"I just told Jessica to meet us here. We were having such a good time." Chris says, confused.

And he was about to ruin it with Jessica here. Thank god it's already ruined.

"Can we please... leave?" I feel my chest clench tight.

Chris doesn't need to know what happened. All I know is that I don't feel safe in this small ice cream shop. Even if she already left, thanks to Dylan. That reminds me... I look around to see about ten scattered people starring at me. Were they always there? They're all starting. I can feel tears streaming down my face.

Great. Embarrassment.

Next thing I know, someone's pushing me out the door, back into the car. I was frozen in place. I couldn't move. The amount of faces looking at me the way they did, it felt like everyone knew. Seeing Brittany just broke reality onto me. Everyone at school hates me so much, they placed a rapist on me. They watched him be abusive and did nothing.

"We're going home." Jason tells me.

I don't want to go home. I want to be with James in that peaceful treehouse. It's better than being in my room with my thoughts. i need fresh air. Or maybe another beautiful moment with my brothers.

"What the hell happened?" Chris asks again.

"Brittany came in the ice cream shop. She was bold enough to say a couple words at the table." Alex explains in short detail.

"I don't know why we didn't just break her face right there." Dylan shakes his head.

I pull out my phone and scroll through Instagram. I need something to distract me from what's going on. I take a deep breath like my dad showed me once.

When things get bad, take a deep breath in and think about what makes you happy.

At the time, it would be cupcakes and unicorns. Now, it's my old house. Our old family when it wouldn't be arguments and fights. A beautiful sunset, even... and James. Exhale, letting all the bad feelings go away and locking in that happy feeling.

You're strong, babygirl. I love you.

That's what he'd say. He'd tell me that this is just a bump on the road. I'll make it across. I have to believe that.

Or else, I'll crumble.
~~~~~~~~
It's been hours. Mom comes back home soon. How do we explain what happened today? She won't trust us anymore. On the other hand, she'll find out what really happened to me. I'm sure she'll have me change schools in no time. At least, I hope so. I've been sitting on the couch, waiting for the door to unlock. Waiting for her to walk in.

I want my mom. I want to tell her everything, just like old times. She's my best friend. I can't hold this in anymore. It hurts too much.

"Hey." Someone walks in the living room.

I look up and force a smile. He needs to know I don't need a talk. I don't want to talk. I want mom.

"What's up?" I say.

"I'll be cooking dinner tonight. Mom's bringing a guest over and she wants dinner to be cooking when she gets back. All she wants to get started is the chicken and to start boiling water for the rice." Chris explains.

"Okay... why do I need to know?" I tilt my head back to the door.

"Because I see the way you're holding the couch arm rest and the way you're looking at the door. You need a distraction. Let's go cook." He smirks, then walks away.