Those Dark Eyes

We're here. We made it to the house of terror. I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I know I'm definitely not ready. It hasn't even been a full month since it happened. I wish Chris had patience. I'd open up at some point. When I'm ready.

"I feel like the whole family wasn't necessary." Dylan looks around the car.

I don't think Dylan realizes that he called James "family." I won't point it out. I'm already dreading this.

"Anyone who doesn't want to come in is welcome to stay in the car or walk around for a bit." Chris says.

"I just don't want to see his face because I know I'll kill him." Alex says.

I start to play with a piece of my bandage. Normally, I'd hate the bickering. I'll take it this time. The more time we're out here, the less time we're in there. I just can't help but imagine what he looks like. I wonder if Cristian's brother would even let Alex and Dylan in their house after what they did to Cristian.

"I think Alex and Dylan should stay." Jason says. "They've already handled what they could. They shouldn't have to see him again."

"Agreed. You guys can either walk around or stay. Your choice." Chris nods.

They should've thought this through back at home. That way they could've just stayed home or went to school. Mom is going to be so angry when she finds out about today. I just have a gut feeling she'll find out. Jessica would be the one to open her fat mouth.

"Guys, someone's peeking through the window." James says.

"We'll stay in the car for a bit. We might eventually get out the car to walk around." Alex sighs, annoyed.

"Great. Here's the keys if you want to turn the AC on. I better find the car exactly where I left it." Chris warns.

I look up and find Dylan staring at me. It's been awhile since he's done that. I thought it stopped. I should get out of the car. It's too hot to focus. To breathe, even. All this talk about finally walking in that house is getting to me. My chest feels heavy again. Am I sweating?

"Lea, breathe." James turns to me.

He noticed. I won't be calm. I can't be. Why can't I just stay in the car with my brothers? Why did I even agree to coming?

"Why do I have to go... in there... with you guys?" I ask, scared.

"He could lie at any given point. We need you there to agree or disagree." Chris says, calmly. "You don't even have to say your side of the story. You can nod your head. You don't have to speak if you don't want to."

I look over at the house. They're still peeking through the window. I don't have to speak. I'll just nod. I won't touch him or make contact. Nothing. I'll just look down the whole time.

"Let's go." Jason says.

James opens the door and hops out the car first. Chris and Jason do the same. I take a deep breath. It's happening. I'm going to see his face again. There's nothing to be scared of. Lea, you're safe. Nothing could go wrong. I climb over the seat but Alex pulls my shoulder back towards him.

"If anything happens, you scream." Alex whispers in my ear. "Do you understand?"

My heart starts to beat out of my chest. If something happens? What would happen? Jason and James are both here with me. Jason promised to never leave me alone with him and James assured me I was okay by his side. Chris is scary enough. They wouldn't think to touch me. Nothing could happen. I'm safe.

Just to keep him calm, I nod to show that I understand. Alex nods and let's me go.

All four of us walk towards the door. Every step I take, I want to run. Run away from this place. We should've at least brought mom into this. She deserves to know that we're here. After everything she's done, we owe her that.