02. Loved and Lost

i hope my project group members lower me into my casket at my funeral so they can let me down agAIN 
i hate doing 4 people's work by myself like that bothers me to no end sigh yay finals week 

I've loved and I've lost
_________________________________________________

Selena's POV: 

From: Tyler

"Picked up Crystal already. Also, school called. Where are you? Are you safe? xx"   

I smile before sending back a reassuring text to one of my two brothers. Crystal is currently attending a well-known university about an hour away from home with Holland but they have different schedules due to their personal courses. Tyler debated about going to a community one in that area to be close to her, but ended up deciding to attend a local university with Dylan so he can still stay home and take care of me. Although the protection of my brothers can be suffocating at times, I am aware of the depths of love and care my brothers display for me. Despite my bitchy attitudes, they would not hesitate to take a bullet for me. Rereading the text, I cease in taking more steps. The bittersweet information makes me hesitant on going home; a part of me wants to see Crystal badly but a part of me wants to avoid returning, now knowing that the school called and Derek probably knows. 

Glancing up for a sign from my parents or something, I notice the sky gradually losing it's rosy blush and easing towards darkness, allowing the sun to return to its rest and waking the moon up for its shift. The night never bothered me before but I know better than to linger out while it's late with an angry brother at home. I sigh, stuffing my hands in the pockets of my blue jacket, aimlessly walking down the sidewalk. The light poles flicker on and I throw on the hoodie in hopes that no one will see me. As I'm about to the round the corner to begin my way home, a short but piercing scream retains my attention and I whip my head towards the direction it came from.

Gemma's POV: 

"Is this seat taken?" I removed one earbud to see a brunette standing in front of me, cradling her books to her chest with a brown faux-leather bag slung lazily over her shoulder. 

"Go for it," I gestured and she thanked me in appreciation before settling in her place across from me. 

"So, where are you heading?" I asked curiously, not knowing many people who took this train.

"Holmes Chapel," her voice was soft.

"Me too," excitement flooded through me, "What are the odds? We must know each other then, because it's a small place."

"I'm Crystal," she begun. We realized that we attend the same Uni and actually lived within blocks of each other. She was a year younger than me, studying psychology, sociology, and history. When I informed her of my last name, she confessed that she graduated from Mum's school.

"I can't believe I haven't met you," I shook my head in awe.

"My family and I are kind of...the outcasts in the area," she seemed to hesitant with her words, wanting to select the best ones. When I politely questioned her about it, she surprisingly informed me of how she lived with her best friend, her boyfriend and his best friend and two siblings.

"They're practically my family though," she reasoned, "Selena's like the little sister I always wanted."

"How old is she?" she filled me in on the other ages but didn't touch the young girl's yet.

"She's seventeen and pretty much the baby of the family despite how tough she is. She's forever the little girl of the household," she gushed and I admired the close relations she had with the people she lived with.