34. Solace In The Strangest Place

i cannot believe christmas is next week
________________________

Selena's POV: 

"This is really lovely," Anne surveys the room and I take a step back to admire my week's worth of work. It's dark outside but I still find myself in the gym, decorating. Although it is now dim and my back hurts from bending over, I still have no urge to leave just yet. This project has grown volumes for me and I find myself attached. Balancing my time, I've been going to work, volunteering, and doing homework and spending every single spare moment thinking about the theme. I used to think "enchanted to meet you" was a corny theme--but then again, I thought the whole concept of prom was nothing of particular specialty. 

With so much time to dwell on it and make it something I'm proud of, I managed to change my whole perspective on it. Surprisingly, I grew pretty invested in the idea, sketching ideas during lunch in hidden spots so no one can or try to contact me. Despite all, I've grown to find solace here, in the strangest place of all options.

The walls have mural-size paintings hung up, covering the plaster completely with works that depicted scenes from Disney movies such as one with a dark blue-black background with little stars and lanterns painted to resemble the notorious Tangled scene. A balloon arch with light blue, white, and silver line the entrance and there's similar colored streamers hanging from the ceiling. In the center was my most proud accomplishment.

I managed to get a small tree inside and wrapped the whole trunk and some branches with twinkling fairy-lights, very much so like Harry's treehouse. It is the epitome of enchantment to me and I wanted to bring the magical feel of that time to the event. 

"Can I see it?" she gestures towards the piece that I'm incredibly focused on. I wasn't even aware of how concentrated I was on staring at it but I snap out of my long gaze and fumble towards the outlet to plug in it. My excitement is at a high, to see the beautiful sight. 

When I see sparks fly, my heart sinks. There's little smoke from the tiny explosion and all hopes and pride deflate. 

"...That was not supposed to happen," I mutter quietly, the unhappiness incredibly evident on my face. I'm sure I can't even mask how upset I am no matter how hard I tried. 

"It's fine, dear. The rest of the place is as stunning as it is."

"It just...it's not okay to me," I sit down on the floor, frustrated. Can things just work out for me? I say nothing but I can feel Harry's mum observe me intensely; usually I'd be rather uncomfortable but at the moment, I'm too bothered to feel awkward or scrutinized. 

"I honestly appreciate everything, Selena. This to me, is more than you just trying to walk across that stage with a diploma and leave this place." 

I don't dare look at her, knowing every time I see her eyes, I will think of the boy who has the exact same ones. 

"What color dress are you wearing?" she hums after a long period of silence lies between us. 

"Dark blue," I answer, remembering what Crystal got me. 

"I'm sure you'll look gorgeous. Go home and rest, Selena. Get ready and look nice for the big night," she warmly smiles and I use every ounce of will power in myself to make eye contact with her, before forcing a small one of my own. She leaves and all I hear is the sound of the door closing. Glancing around the room, I lean back on my hands and sigh. Lifting one to run it through my hair, I wonder just what kind of hell prom will be.

Louis's POV: 

"Is he going to mope around all day?" Liam frowns as we watch Harry lie down on the resting bench outside the fitting rooms. He stares at his phone that he lays on his chest, eyes darting between the screen and the ceiling of the store. His texts have predominantly been from his mum, who has been updating him about her, ironic compared to the beginning of the year. She apparently is talking to Selena lots, especially since she has requirements to fulfill and needs the principal's assistance. 

"Probably," I shrug. Prom is in a day and as prepared gentlemen, of course, we started tux-fitting just now. Zayn is getting measured as I tug the lapels of my suit, looking in the mirror and straightening the cuffs. We, excluding negative Nelly over there, all look pretty spiffy and cleaned up. 

"You look good, Lou," Niall pipes in. I smile to thank the Irish lad before turning to check up on the heartbroken soul lying emotionless. Everyone knew how excited he was for the event; he's been dreaming of this night since forever--not even for the night but for the girl he hopes to have it with. 

As I'm about to pat his back reassuringly, he jolts up from his lazy position and suddenly stands up straight, heading towards the rack and scanning rapidly, pushing hangers back and forth. His hands run through multiple suits, eyes quickly glancing and then dismissing if they do not appear up-to-par. This is the most energy and movement I've seen from the depressed and sluggish boy all month, honestly.

"Um, so...what's going on here?" Zayn peers over in curiosity after finally finding a suit that fits him well. We are all unsure about the burst of life that seemed to have sprung in him.

"Yeah, like did yeh suddenly get your life together?" Niall adds in another not-so-comforting comment. Good one, Nialler. By the time the question has been asked, the curly-haired lad is already across the room, beginning his search on a completely new section of suits.

"I need a dark blue tie" is all he says and all he needs to say for us to know. His top teeth hold onto his bottom lip, hiding a grin that the rest of us share without hesitation.