12: We Take A Short Cut

(Gif at the top or side is Dyaln O'Brien >Alcaeus Archer<)

Alcaeus' idea was brilliant but at the same time sloppy. He had the plan of sneaking my blood covered self into Ambrosia through the Underworld. He knew the place better than anyone besides Hades. He knew where all of the entrances and exits were. He could of course create an exit for us out of smoke but it lead to the risk of us being harmed by the smoke and Dad detecting us out after curfew. After all, The Underworld wasn't supposed to be easy to get in when you're alive. Not saying it was supposed to be easy to get out of either.

As sons of Hades we could come and go as we pleased. Alpheus said he'd been down there only a few times over his long stretch of life. Niklaus admitted that he hadn't been in there more times than he could count on his hands. Alcaeus however had spent more than half of his life down in the Underworld and now he practically owned it. Hades was liking his life on the surface. He could never give up his power over the Underworld but he still let Alcaeus play house in it.

Alcaeus led us through the woods there was a large old house that was crumbling down and covered in leaves. Alcaeus stopped in front of one of the stone walls.

"Now what?" I asked Alcaeus didn't answer but what he did next was a good enough answer for me.

He rubbed his finger tips on his thumb sparking the smoke and left his position in front off us and walked over to the stone wall. He placed his hands flat on it. He said something in scientists greek and his smoke seemed to take effect, weaving itself through the cement holding the bricks together. The bricks started to fold into each other forming a doorway. Alcaeus turns to us and nudges his head for us to follow. He goes down the charred steps first then Nik, Alpheus then me. The dark stair case was lit by the faint glow of torches. Never in my lifetime did I think I would willingly walk into hell. I slowed to look at the drawings on the walls. They looked like battles. I recognized one of them from a Greek Mythology book Nik got me for my birthday a few years ago. It was the scene of Chronos throwing up all of his children and then the roll of the dice that made the power distribution fair. Zeus won first claiming the skies, Poseidon second claiming the seas and Hades, my father being unlucky got the Underworld. It was thought to be unlucky but proved otherwise as he lived on.

"Tobias, keep up." Alcaeus says as he stops Nik and Alpheus. I snap my attention from the art to them.

"Don't get too far behind, the souls love the taste of Demigod." Alcaeus says I nodded and walked down the steps joining them. Alpheus lets me pass him. Nik makes me walk behind Alcaeus.

"So how long is this stair case?" I asked

"Not that long."

"When does it get loud?"

"Soon."

"Does Dad really have a castle down here?"

"Yep."

"How big is it?"

"Ask me one more question and I'm feeding you to the Hellhounds." Alcaeus says I shut my mouth immediately.

"You'll see soon enough." Nik says I nodded

The stair case felt endless. As soon as we reached the last step I decided to make a dramatic thing out of it. Stopping on the last step.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Demigods and spirits of the dead.." I said Alcaeus turns to look at me as Alpheus and Niklaus shuffle past me. I hopped off the last step and continued, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." I said Alpheus chuckles. Nik smiles Alcaeus shakes his head with a smile.

"Now let's go before Dad knows we're here." Alcaeus says. I took in my surroundings, the place had a red glint to it. The dry stone walls seemed red. They were covered in drawings and ancient carvings. In the air a dry, hot feeling was there but I didn't mind it. The blood on my skin was dry and sticky. Nik and Alpheus walked behind me as I walked beside Alcaeus.