87: The Battle of Death, Water & Sky

Third person
The field was consumed in battle. Electra was fighting with Milo and Thanatos. So far, they hadn't suffered any casualties and Electra hadn't been forced to kill anyone she knew. It seems like her siblings weren't the only ones Zeus had been recruiting. She'd seen some Ahprodite kids with some of Artemis' hunters. Although she kept finding herself searching for Alpheus. Not being able to fight the urge to make sure he was okay. But, she hadn't seen him since the battle began..
••
"We should put the plan into action." Tobias said looking up at Silas. He'd climbed back into the tree and was leaning against the trunk his legs resting on the branch in front of him.
"Not yet. It's too soon." He said flatly
"How are you so sure? They could be dying out there." Tobias argued
"Are you the one with the powers?" Silas said coldly Annalise sat quietly. It was difficult to understand how Silas could be two different people. When he was around her he was shy and sweet but the way he talked to Tobias was cold and emotionless..
He's a sociopath.. Duh. Her subconscious pointed out. She didn't seem to be able to see him as the psychotic sociopath everyone said he was. Which side of him was the real one? The one when he was with her or the one when he was cold and closed. She looked up at him but he paid her no attention. Up in his tree no one below him mattered.
"Look, I know I don't have powers. You don't have to rub my face in it every time it suits you. How do we know you're not just sitting up there letting everyone I care about die?" Tobias said narrowing his sweet dark eyes at Silas who sighed
"No one has died yet." He said and glanced down at Tobias "Well, no one important to you anyways." He added
"And you." Tobias said Silas tsk'd.
"They're your family." Tobias pointed out
"They're also the ones that locked me in my room for more than a week." He said
"You don't leave it any ways. What's the difference?"
"The difference is the choice. I have a choice whether I leave or not." Silas said rolling his black eyes.
"They didn't have a choice. You attacked them." Tobias said
"You know how you said I should stop throwing the fact that your powerless in your face?" Silas said looking down at Tobias. "It'd be greatly appreciated if you'd stop throwing that in my face. For the fear of Tartarus.. Just let it go."
"Fine. Can we go now?" Tobias asked
"You don't get it do you? If we time this wrong we're all dead." Silas said gesturing between the three of them.
"And if we ignore the time that is going by.. They'll all be dead." Tobias said gesturing towards the battle. Silas opened his mouth to argue but Annalise cut him off.
"Maybe we should listen to him Toby.. He knows what he's doing." Annalise said Tobias hesitated but then sat on the log beside her. He clenched his fists and stared at the ground. What a team this was..
••
Albus shot another arrow it found its mark in the nearest foe's skull.
He looked to the newest archers. Nico and Leo had come through. There was now a squad of Apollo archers including Tobias' friends Lucas and Lucy. They were sitting with Albus taking down as much enemies as possible. Hades, Poseidon and Zeus were still fighting and it was loud. Try gaining enough concentration to shoot an arrow with that noise in the background.
Blah blah, I'm your king! blah blah
It was tiresome. Albus had been looking out for his brothers. These minions were fighting dirty trying to sneak up behind. He didn't have to worry about Thalia because she was with him and the twins. Turns out, she was good with a bow as well.
He wondered how the separate groups were doing. We're Silas and Indigo successfully protecting the youngest Archers? So many thoughts bunched in his head it was a wonder he was making any of his shots.
His finger tips were raw from shooting but it was a good pain. The pain of winning a battle.
"You're pretty good with that bow." Lucy commenting letting her latest arrow fly.
"I'd hope to be." Albus replied "It was your father who taught me." He added notching his arrow.
"My father taught you?" Lucy asked reaching over her shoulder and grabbing another arrow from her quiver.
"Yes." Albus said letting his arrow fly into a minion's heart sending him onto his back coughing up blood.
"Huh." Lucy breathed notching her arrow.
••
"Are you sure Joy is safe in the Underworld?" Atlas asked for what seemed like the millionth time.
"Yes, Atlas. I'm sure." Indigo answered
Luna stumbled but Atlas caught her arm stabilizing her.
"How long are we going to walk for?" Atlas asked
"You'd proffer running?" Indigo said
"No I mean.. How far are we going to go? What if they need our help?" He asked
"We're far enough when I saw we are." Indigo said Atlas made a face behind her back and Luna laughed silently.
••
Electra had gotten separated from Milo. He'd rushed off to help one of his siblings. Thanatos the same. She was alone and doing okay.
Then it happened...
••
Silas sat up right suddenly Tobias whipped around.
"What is it?" He demanded Silas looked towards the battlefield. He closed his eyes showing his pitch black eyelids.
"Silas." Tobias said sharply
"Shut up." Silas muttered
"Who is it? What happened?" Tobias spoke helplessly. Looking up at Silas in the tree. Silas slowly opened his eyes and looked down at Tobias. He opened his mouth to say something then stopped looking back towards the battlefield.
••
The cold metal blade ripped through Electra's chest. She cried out and fell just as an arrow flew into her attacker's skull. Before she could hit the ground arms were around her. The dagger removed from her chest. She tasted blood her eyelids heavy.
"Get her, I've got you covered." She heard the familiar voice in the distance. The warm arms around her were strong and familiar.
"You're not dying just yet, love." She smiled weakly at the English accent. She opened her eyes and looked into the warm chocolate brown eyes of Alpheus.
"Yeah, that's right it's me. Keep those eyes open." He said cradling her. He removed a hand from her side and placed it on her chest she felt a cold tingle around the wound and laid her head back her eyes threatening to close.
"No. Don't do that, Lex." Alpheus' voice was distant. The tingling felt distant as well. She tasted warm disgusting iron of blood.
"Caeus!" She heard Alpheus yell then she felt another hand and like a defibrillator it shocked her with a strong jerk and her eyes were open as she drew in a loud gasp choking on the blood she'd started to cough up. Alpheus turned her on her side allowing her to spit it out. She wiped her mouth on her sleeve. Alcaeus who'd helped revive her was back to work controlling the smoke ninjas that'd been there during their escape from torture. She became aware of Alpheus' arms once more as he lifted her to her feet. Without being able to control herself she leaned up and kissed him. I short lived joy as he pulled away.
"Later." He said as Milo and a few of his brothers came over.
"Promise me there will be a later?" She said she smiled weakly at her and set off with Alcaeus. She watched after him as Milo started to tug her away back towards Thanatos.
••
"What is it?" Tobias demanded
"A false alarm." Silas said
"What do you mean?"
"I mean somebody was dying but then someone stopped it." Silas said sharply sounding annoyed as if Tobias should have known.
"Who was it?" He asked
"Electra."
"Oh my gods.." Tobias murmured
"But Alpheus and Alcaeus saved her." Silas added
"We need to do this now." Tobias said Silas sighed looking to the skies before hopping out of the tree.
"I suppose it is time we get a move on."
***
They stood in the clearing.
"We can't do it now, Zeus is still fighting Dad and Poseidon." Tobias said
"Well at least you didn't completely screw up. He'll be weakened when we get our chance." Silas said
"I didn't screw it up? We could have been here the whole time helping." Tobias said
"You're the most hated Demigod to the blood of Zeus. If Zeus wasn't distracted by Hades and Poseidon, he'd be looking for you." Silas said jabbing a finger into Tobias' chest. Tobias glared at him.
"Now what do you suggest we do?" He demanded
"Find some minions to kill in the meantime. Like you said we could have been helping. Let's go help." Silas said
"How do we know which ones are good?" Annalise asked
"Kill the ones that are attacking the ones you recognize." Silas said searching the crowed
"Like him." He said lifting his hand and closing it. The minion reacted like he'd been lassoed.
Silas brought his hand closer to us and the minion came closer to a few feet away from us.
"Also, they have this stupid lightning bolt armour on." He said and unclasped his hand. The minion dropped but then scrambled to get up running away. Silas reached into his boot and pulled out a knife throwing it with pinpoint accuracy as it buried itself in the back of the minions skull. Tobias' attentions as caught by a familiar figure then his heart dropped. It was Piper.. She was fighting Coral from the looks of it, Coral was losing. With a jolt he unsheathed Lupé and rushed forward. Time seemed to slow down as Piper deflected Coral's slash and drove her sword into Coral's heart. Tobias shifted Lupé into a dagger and threw it in Piper's direction it dug into her wrist causing her to drop her blade. Tobias ran to Coral but she was already gone. Piper removed Lupé from her arm and dropped it to the ground hissing in pain. Tobias grabbed it and it shifted into its natural form of a sword. He stood up and aimed it at Piper.
"Don't move." He growled through gritted teeth. Surprise spread across her face.
"Tobias?" She said weakly her voice faltering
"What have you done, Piper?" Tobias said feeling his own voice falter. It faltered for Coral. It also faltered because he knew what he had to do next.
"I didn't know she was your friend." She said raising her hands
"They're all my friends." Tobias growled
"I'm sorry.."
"You picked the wrong side, Piper.. You could have been good.." Tobias said
"How was I supposed to join you? You left me there." She said a tear rolling down her cheek. Tobias shadowed her as one rolled down his.
"It's complicated.." He said
"I know.." Piper said stepping closer the top of Lupé's blade pressing against her chest. "That's why you have to do it." She said Tobias shook his head. Too many memories of her flooded into his head. One in particular when Tobias had the coffee day with Suzanne and Piper came and saved him from the boredom an the day they skipped school.. But after all those images passed they were still here. She was still wearing Zeus' emblem on her shirt and Tobias was still holding a sword to the girl he might have been able to truly fall for if their circumstances weren't so horrible.
"It's okay.." Piper whispered taking the blade in her gloved hands Tobias felt another tear roll down his cheek.
"It's okay." Piper whispered once more before grabbing Tobias' hand and pushing the blade through her chest. She gasped. Tobias dropped to his knees with his pulling Lupé from her chest. She gasped for air holding the blood gushing wound.
"I'm sorry." Tobias whispered
"Don't be." She whispered back she stilled. Her beautiful hazel eye staring into the sky. He reached across and closed them.
"Tobias!" Tobias jumped at the voice. He saw Augustus maybe a yard away. He gripped Lupé's hilt and stood up. Augustus was looking between him and Piper's body.
But before they could attack each other, they were both rounded on by foes. Their fight was delayed.
••
Silas and Annalise got separated as they started to attack. He couldn't see her anywhere. This would have worried him if he didn't know how well she could handle herself. Knowing she'd be alright on her own he went towards one of Zeus' sons. Not the eldest, that was Tobias' prize he made that very clear. He was going towards the other one. The younger quick one. It was time for Zeus to lose a child like Silas had. It was time to make him feel it.
••
"Should we go back?" Atlas asked
"We've been walking for an hour, Atlas. It'd be pointless to turn back now. Plus we'd be slammed by the time we got there." Indigo said
"I know but this doesn't feel right.." Atlas said
"You know what else doesn't feel right? Dying. C'mon. Dad said you shouldn't be there so you probably shouldn't be there." She said Luna grabbed Atlas' ark tugging him after Indigo.
••
Tobias was just finishing off the last minion when he felt it. The closest thing to a sense he ever had. Just then,
"Tobias!" He heard Augustus calling him once more. He looked over to see Augustus but his heart dropped when he saw he was holding Annalise. Everything shut down.
"No." He whispered
"For Piper." He saw Augustus' lips form the words then he roughly swung Annalise around and dragged the sparkling bloody steel of his sword, Bolt across Annalise's throat. Blood poured from the wound.
"No!" Tobias yelled it echoed through the hills. Augustus pushed Annalise to the ground. He winked at Tobias.
"Now we're even." He said Tobias couldn't control his red hot rage as he charged for Augustus. When their bodies collided there was a loud crack of thunder and they crashed to the ground their swords dropping into the grass. Tobias pinned Augustus punching him repeatedly, Annalise's lifeless body not too far away from them. Augustus caught his fist and pulled Tobias down into a head-butt then as Tobias was dazed reversed him. He gripped Tobias' throat with both hands Tobias' gripped at his wrists as he coughed for air. The battle was fading, clashes of swords and Augustus' insults becoming distant his grip weakening.
"This is the last time you embarrass me, Tobias! I will bring your head to my father and he'll-" Augustus drew in a sharp breath and Tobias felt Augustus' grip weaken then cease completely. His body was tugged off from on top of him. He looked up in his blurred vision and saw Milo. He coughed. Milo was clutching his stomach and had sweat on his brow. Tobias looked to the blade he was holding and his heart dropped.
It was Lupé. A Stygian Iron blade. Milo tipped onto the ground and went limp.
"No!" Tobias cried rushing to get up to shake Milo's shoulders.
"No!" He yelled but Milo was limp. Why did he use Lupé? Why did he have to use Lupé?!
He was pulling Milo into his lap when he saw it. It was on his sword hand. A steel glove with a shiny lightning bolt on it. Tobias reached up and felt for a pulse on Milo's throat. When he felt a pulse he found himself laughing. The sound must have woken Milo from his unconsciousness and he grinned up at Tobias.
"Glad to know my death brought so much joy." He said
"Where did you get this?" Tobias asked lifting his hand with the glove.
"White steel. The only metal that could repel Stygian iron. Zeus had a glove made for Augustus so he could touch your sword." Milo said Tobias shook his head looking at Augustus. Dead body.
"In the end he orchestrated his own son's downfall.." Tobias said
"Don't celebrate too much. There's still one out there." Milo said
"Not for long." Tobias said standing up and offering Milo a hand. "Let's go."
**
It didn't take long for Tobias and Milo to find Alec. Silas had found him too. He was fighting his way towards him when Tobias and Milo found them.
"Silas!" Tobias called catching up as caught  Silas' arm stepping over the last dead body that'd attempted to stop Silas from reaching Alec.
"He has super speed. How do you plan to-" Silas raised his hand and Alec stopped right where he'd been running.
"Like that." He said and walked towards Alec. Milo and Tobias in tow.
"Where's Augustus?" Alec demanded after seeing Tobias.
"Dead." Milo replied
"I take it that was satisfying.. I mean who'd you let my brother kill so far? Hmm.. Nemotris, Jove, Petyr.. Your friend Pablo and his buddy Jorge.. Who else did he kill..? There's too many to count." Tobias' heart dropped all those people.. Nemotris., he'd been an asshat all the times he'd seen him but he was loyal to his family.. Pablo and Jorge.. They were funny guys and they helped them escape from being tortured... What were the three of them been doing here anyways? The only explanation was that Leo and Nico had come through.. We're their deaths his fault?
"It hurts doesn't it?" Alec said to Milo
"And you.. By your face and the fact that you haven't killed me yet tells me you don't know yet."
"Don't know what?" Tobias demanded looking between Silas and Alec. Someone had died and Silas hadn't mentioned it.. Alec smirked at Silas before looking back at Tobias.
"One of your brothers is dead too." He said "Beyond revival too. Y'know cause his head was chopped off." Tobias lunged forwards and grabbed Alec by the throat.
"Who?" Tobias demanded
"You wanna tell him or shall I?" He said glancing at Silas. Tobias looked at him in disbelief. The kid looked no more than fifteen or sixteen. When Silas was silent Alec shrugged
"Fine. It was Niklaus."
Tobias dropped Alec to the ground but he still didn't move from the hold Silas had on him with his telekinesis.
Tobias couldn't breathe. Nik? Nik was the one that had been going to die? The brother that helped raise Tobias? Tobias dropped to his knees as images hit him. Just images of him and Nik when things were normal.. Just doing stupid things. He felt a tear roll down his cheek as Milo placed a hand on his shoulder. Tobias got up and rounded on Silas. He shoved him.
"This is your fault!" He yelled
"My fault?!" Silas yelled
"You didn't tell me who you saw die! If you would have he wouldn't have gotten killed!" Tobias yelled
"It wasn't like that Tobias! Even I didn't know!" Silas yelled
"Oh bullshit! You knew! You acted like you knew and then you dangled it in front of my face. I hate you! You let your own brother get killed just like your mother and your family!" Tobias yelled in a fit of rage. Silas punched Tobias in the face, his knuckles hitting his nose.
"How dare you?!" Silas roared with anger.
"Guys!" Milo tried yelling
"Now you let the closest thing I ever had to a real brother die. It's all your fault!"
"Our families were killed by the same damn man! Who cares who held the blades if they were each used in the name of one man?!" Silas yelled "It's not my fault. None of this is my fault." Silas said shoving Tobias. Tobias just turned away not being able to think straight his head was spinning. He looked at Alec and narrowed his eyes.
"Zeus killed our families, Tobias." Silas said calmer "He killed your brother, my babies. We shouldn't be fighting each other. We have to fight him." He said Tobias nodded.
"But now.." Silas trailed off turning to face Alec. "Its time for your father to feel it." He said and grabbed Lupé from Tobias' hand it shifted into a dagger and Silas drove it into Alec's throat. Blood gushed around the blade and Alec coughed up blood onto the ground.
Silas pulled the blade out and then stabbed it into his heart.
"Enjoy the fields of punishment." He said as Alec coughed up one last breath. He pulled Lupé from his chest and tossed it back to Tobias. Silas looked down at the body, he was so young. But he couldn't help but think about his kids. The kids Zeus had killed that weren't even half Alec's age.
Thunder clapped in the skies above clouds rolling in putting an endless black shadow over the field. Zeus bellowed a loud yell from the higher ground where he'd been fighting Hades and Poseidon. He had felt it.
"Are you ready?" Silas asked Tobias digging into the pocket of his coat. Tobias nodded handing Lupé to Silas who pulled a vial out of his pocket and poured a liquid down the blade before handing it back.
"He's going to come for you. Make as many cuts as you can." Silas said Tobias nodded feeling butterflies
"Will this kill him?" Tobias asked
"Don't be ridiculous you can't kill a god. It will incapacitate him until Hades and Poseidon can deal with him." Silas said Tobias nodded
"I'll hold him as much as I can. I don't know of my power will even work on him." Silas said
"What can I do?" Milo asked
"Nothing." Tobias said "I don't want you dying. Go back to battle. Help Electra and the others." Tobias said
"But I can help maybe. Shapeshift." Milo said
"You should listen to Tobias, kid." Silas said Milo looked between them then he stepped forward and hugged Tobias.
"Just don't die, okay?" He said Tobias nodded
"You too." He said and they split up. Silas and Tobias headed towards Zeus.
You'd have to be stupid to head towards three fighting gods.. Really stupid..
Tobias felt his nerves getting worse the closer they got. Before he knew it, it was time for him and Silas to split up. Tobias was to go in first and distract Zeus.
When Tobias got there Hades and Poseidon were gone. Zeus had been waiting for him. He turned and saw Tobias. A wicked grin spread across his face.
"Stupid boy." He spat "Did you really think you could beat me?" He said Tobias looked around.
"Your father has gone. It appears there's some trouble with your brothers down on the battlefield." He said "And Poseidon. He's lost about half of his kin in this silly battle." Zeus said
"Well at least he's still got kin." Tobias said through clenched teeth. He couldn't stand to look at Zeus' arrogant smug face. Zeus narrowed his eyes at Tobias.
"Do you think murdering my boys will make it any easier for you? You've only made it worse for yourself, boy." He said
Any time now, Silas..
"You mean like you've murdered my brother? Like you murder my nieces and nephews?" Tobias said thinking of Nik. Thinking of Thanatos and Silas' children.
"And what was your plan? To take me on all by yourself? You will not defeat me." Zeus said
"Your confidence is pathetic." Tobias said
"Pathetic?" The god laughed "I'll show you pathetic." He said and with a point Tobias felt every muscle in his body sear with pain. Zeus forced his knees to buckle.
"That's right. Kneel before me." He said Lupé fell from Tobias' grasp. He fought against Zeus' hold on him but it was no use. Their plan had failed. Zeus stepped over standing over Tobias. He reached down grabbing his throat and lifting him up.