37: Approaching Battles

After about three days at the camp, I was getting used to it. We each had our own tent. Atlas was healed enough to walk without the crutches which was strange in its own way, considering his bone had been snapped in half. The Commander had assigned each of us a job. Alpheus and Thanatos were guard duty, although he hadn't told them what they were guarding us against. Niklaus and Alcaeus were on food detail. Atlas since he was still not supposed to use his foot very often had was assigned the duty of tending to the fires. I was still with the hunt. Despite my display of lacking the skills necessary for the job. Hunters didn't go out very often so I mostly followed the Commander around on his rounds. My job was pretty simple. I don't know why the Commander enjoyed my company. I wasn't very entertaining or anything. I guess he found my anti-social personality amusing.

"So, when do we go hunting again?" I asked as we made another circle around camp.

"When that smoke house is empty." He says pointing to the very full smokehouse. I swore under my breath.

"What about fruits and vegetables? Surely we need more of those." I said he shook his head.

"The Harvesters were out this morning. I'm sorry Tobias, You're stuck with rounds." He says I nodded I knew better than to argue with him. After three days of practically being his shadow I had learned a lot about him. But, I still didn't know his name. Which was really frustrating. I glanced around and found Atlas at one of the fires. That blond girl, Carrie was sitting beside him. I knew from asking Atlas that their relationship was just friendly. I believed him because I was the person he came to when he wanted to talk about how much he missed Joy.

"I'm thinking about holding a meeting with my inner circle. You and your brothers are included in that circle. I trust you guys. I think it's time I fill you in on what we are up against out there. You and your brothers deserve to know what these walls are for." The Commander says gesturing to the walls. I nodded feeling relief and excitement. Finally my questions were going to be answered.

"Will all our questions be answered at this meeting?" I asked he thought it over for a moment.

"A select few." He says which I knew basically meant none of my good ones would be answered.

"When will the meeting happened?" I asked

"Tonight when most of the curious ones are asleep." He says I nodded. He looked around before continuing to walk, me in his wake.

***

That night, my brothers and I headed over to the Commander's tent. He was right. The fire in the middle of camp was low and the few that were on watch were only paying attention to the outside and there wasn't anyone walking around. Pushing the flaps aside we walked in on what was surely a hushed conversation between the Commander, Farrah, and Kaleb

"Good, you're all here." He says unfolding his arms and leaning his hands on a table that was shaped like a large circle. It looked like a 3D map of some sort.

"What is this?" Niklaus asked before I could as Alpheus pulled up a chair for Atlas.

"This is a map of the forest. What we've got to at least." Kaleb says

"So? Why are you mapping it?" Thanatos asks

"Because, we have both enemies and allies out in these woods. Villages and Colonies." The Commander explains.

"So, why is this important? Are you going to war or something?" Niklaus asks

"Something like that." The Commander admits.

"War? This place was supposed to be safe. Our father sent us here to be safe not go to war." Niklaus says

"Your father sent us here knowing that we were on the brink of war." Kaleb says