43: How Life Carries On...

(Picture above or to the side is Lily Collins as Luna Archer)

I wished I could have talked more with Alpheus. After finding out that he, despite being the brother that bickered most with Thanatos cried for him during the night.. Maybe he was wrong about the others not caring. I headed down to breakfast, I heard hushed conversation as I approached the corner. I stopped pressing my back against it.
"I'm telling you, Tobias won't want to come." I heard Alpheus whispering. "Do you know where I found him this morning? On the floor beside Thanatos' bed. He'll want to stay close to him." He says
"Personally I think Tobias will join us. If he knows we've located siblings and are going to retrieve them, he might just decide to come along." Albus says
"Oh what do you know? You've known Tobias for what, A week?" Alpheus retorts
"I agree with Alpheus." Niklaus says
"As the brother that was with him for his childhood, I know he'd want to stay and watch over Thanatos." Niklaus says I launched myself into a loud fabricated yawn and swung around the corner. They immediately stopped talking focussing on their breakfasts.
"Morning." I mumbled sitting down and grabbing a handful of peameal bacon plopping it onto my plate and shrugging off Persephone's obvious distaste, I ignored my utensils holding the slice to my lips and taking a bite out of it.
"How'd you sleep?" Dad asks
"Horribly." I said pouring coffee into my mug and drinking it black. I'd made it a goal to try to not think about my dream about Thanatos and already it was difficult.
"I went to wake you this morning.. You weren't in your bed." He says
"Yeah, I slept in Thanatos' room last night." I said deciding to admit it.
"Why?" Alcaeus asks
"Cause I want to make sure that if he wakes up he's not alone." I said
"See? I told you." Alpheus says
"And what are you on about?" I asked him
"Oh, nothing." He says
"That's convincing. If you don't want to tell me about your hushed sibling retrieval mission, I don't really care." I said glances are passed around the table.
"Tobias-"
"I'm not a child. I'm older than Atlas. Next time you chose to predict my decisions.. Make sure I'm in the room to defend or justify myself." I said grabbing my plate and coffee and leaving the room.
*
I sat on the floor leaning against a small love seat in my room and shared my breakfast with Lady, my head tilted back staring miserably at the ceiling. Lady took to finishing off my coffee as well as my bacon. After finishing the food and laying on her side she looked at me and then laid her head on my lap. I stroked her head numbly. What really upset me the most was the fact that it was my mortal life all over again. Mom and Nik used to have hushed conversations about me all the time back home.
"Even my younger brother gets included. But me? No." I mumbled to Lady she chuffed.
"Yeah, maybe I should just sit up in my room, rot away to nothing.." I said absently as my mind drifted off to Thanatos. Lady whined sadly.
"As much relief as that would bring me, Lady. I'm not going to make it that easy." I said
There was a knock at my door. I grumbled annoyed.
"Who is it?" I called
"It's your father." He said I didn't bother to straighten up or whatever. I just muttered something that I presume sounded like "come in" because Hades entered
"What can I do for you, father?" I asked lazily lifting my head up to look at him.
"I want to know your decision. No judgement no arguments. If you want to stay with Thanatos or Leave with your brothers. Whatever you want to do I'll support you." He says I raised my brows.
"How many?" I asked
"Three." He says
"Great, three more br-" he cuts me off
"Sisters actually." He said my heart leaps.
"Sisters?" I asked he nodded
"How old?" I asked
"Two are quite old. Over a thousand. The third is quite young however." He says
"How old is she?" I asked
"18." He says
"She's my age?" I asked he nodded
"Just turned 18 yesterday. That's what brought my attention to them." He said
"They're together?" I asked
"Two of them have found each other, however, the third, youngest is alone. You'll be able to find her." He says
"But how is that-" he cuts me off
"Possible? Simple. That's how Thanatos found Alpheus and Alcaeus. There's a certain connection you have. You should feel it while searching for them." He said
"But I haven't decided whether I wanted to go or not." I said
"Oh, you have," He says "You just don't know it yet." Turning and heading back to the door.
"They leave this afternoon." He adds before shutting the door behind him.
***
I sat on the side of Thanatos' bed looking down at him. Remarkably, he'd survived the night. He hadn't left just yet.
"Hey Than.." I started "I don't know if you're listening or whatever but, I'm leaving the Underworld today." I said glancing down at the backpack filled with supplies.
"We've located more siblings. Sisters at that. All younger than you of course, don't worry." I add with a sort of smile.
"Look, I want you to know, just in case you choose to leave when I'm gone.. I love you no matter what. I guess you were right. No matter what I'd support you," I felt the tears coming. "No matter what. So.. If you leave I just.. I want you to know that we all love you, I won't tell them that I know why you left.. I understand your reasons." I said I got up "Well, goodbye then." I said putting my backpack over my shoulders. "I love you, Big Brother." I say turning around and before I could change my mind, I left the room. Taking the steps 2 at a time I turned into the living room/parlour.
"You're here." Atlas says breaking their conversation, they all look at me. Hades gives me a smile.
"We're just establishing plans." Hades says gesturing to a spot beside Albus on the couch which I took.
"So, what's the plan?" I asked
"You and I are going to Virginia." Alpheus says
"And we're going to New York to grab the other two." Alcaeus says
"Why the uneven numbers?" I asked
"There's two of them and since they know that they have powers and if they choose not to come and were forced to take them unwillingly.. They may put up a fight." Niklaus says
"Why are you making Atlas go then?" I asked feeling an immediate protective instinct.
"We need numbers." Albus says
"I think you guys can handle it." I said Hades nodded
"That's a valid point." Hades says
"But, then we should get Alpheus." Alcaeus says
"I'm not letting these two go by themselves." Alpheus says. We all look to Hades. He gives a curt nod.
"Right, I'll split you equally. Alpheus you take Tobias and Atlas. Niklaus you take Albus and Alcaeus." He says
"Can he at least shower and wear normal clothes?" Niklaus asked gesturing to Albus with his thumb Alpheus snorts. Albus hasn't showered since we got back and was still wearing the jacket he had been wearing when he lead the Nomads. It had hints of dirt and dried bloodstains. He also wore his black combat boots.
"Normal for you." Albus says "I find your clothes ridiculously flashy and restricting." He says
"Feel free not to wear any." Pamela says walking into the room.
Atlas turns to Alpheus awaiting his comment. Sure enough it came..
"Feel free to wear more." Alpheus says Atlas laughs and Alcaeus smirks.
"Whatcha guys talkin about?" She asked leaning over the back of the couch Albus and I occupied. She twirled her finer around one of the curly pieces of Albus' hair. He completely ignored her presence. I hadn't noticed that Albus was different in appearance from the rest of us in a few ways, his hair was darker but so was Thanatos, his hair was slightly curly and his skin a darker shade than all of us. Wether those two were because he lived outside which gave his skin a tanned olive skin type glow his hair was probably curly due to not being brushed for a century or two. He looked more greek than all of us. Albus noticed me staring and gave me a little smile. I returned it.
"None of your business." Alcaeus says brining my attention back to the rectangle of furniture occupied by my brothers and father along with the in welcomed presence of my step sister.
"If we wanted you to know what we were talking about we would have told you to join us." Niklaus says
"Well, curiosity never hurt anybody. Neither did kindness." She says
"Actually, I think a few people were assassinated for the sake of kindness. Martin Luther King Jr. For example." Alcaeus says
"You're all very horrible to me you know that?" She says standing up straight.
"Pamela-" Hades starts
"No, I don't care what you say. You sit there and let your sons treat me like shit. I do not know what my mother sees in you.." She says
"I have a few ideas." I said Hades glances at me the corners of his mouth twitching.
"His dashing personality for a start." Alpheus says
"His parenting style is alluring." Alcaeus agrees
Pamela glared at the lot of us. She let out a annoyed growl and in a desperate attempt to harm any of us, she grabbed a fist full of my hair and of Albus' and tugged our heads back before stomping off. I rubbed my scalp with a scowl. Albus did the same.
"Well that was pathetic." Alpheus mutters
"Can we get going?" Atlas asked "I'm itching to feel the sun." He says I hadn't really noticed but that was true, none of us had seen or felt the sun for days.
"Who wants to go first?" Hades asks Alpheus stood up.
"We'll go." He said I rose from the couch along with Atlas and joined Alpheus on each of his sides.
"Albus, I suppose you can wear one of Niklaus' jackets as well? The blood might track unwanted attention." Hades says
"Yeah, from the police." Niklaus adds Albus rolls his eyes with a smirk and strips off his jacket to show a tshirt that had the sleeves cut off that showed most of the sides of his torso.
Niklaus summed one of this jackets using his smoke and tossed it to Albus who tugged it off his shoulders.
Hades turned back to Atlas, Alpheus and I.
"Ready?" He asked we nodded he waved his hand and the familiar smoke surrounded us and blacked everything out. There was a slight dropping sensation and then we stood in a field.
"Now what?" Atlas asks before I could
"Now we find our sister." He said and set off the every step with took through the dried dirt made crunching sounds under our feet, the weather in Virginia was hot, I watched as Alpheus lead us trough the field with confidence in his stride as if he had a map in his head and he was following it every step he took.
I sighed pulling off my hoodie and shoving it in my backpack.
Atlas was fanning himself as he rolled the sleeves of his tshirt up into his shoulders.
"After not feeling the sun on my skin for days, this feels like over-load." He says Alpheus paused momentarily to look around before turning. I heard the comforting sound of cars. Back in the real world.
We walked down a narrow alleyway and and through into a neighbourhood.
"Talk about modern suburbia." Atlas mutters I chuckled
*
We stood across the street from a high school.
"Okay, she's in there." Alpheus says
"Are you joking? Dad knows how much I hate school why would he send me into one?" I grumbled
"You're free to wait out here." Alpheus says I paused and felt the heat on me, attracted to all the black.
"Nah, I'll go in.." I said
"Alright, let's go then." Alpheus says. He steps off the curb and crosses the road, Atlas and I walking behind him.
"What's her name?" Atlas asked
"Luna." Alpheus replies as we enter the cool air conditioning of the school. The familiar scents of cheap cleaners and printer toner entered my nose, Atlas and I followed Alpheus into the office. There was a small line of students. Two girls sitting off to the side looked over at us with questioning expressions. They caught sight of Alpheus and blushed and started giggling.
"That's just no fair." Atlas muttered to me I smirked.
"Better him than me." I said examining their scandalous short skirts and tight shirts.
"You plan to die a virgin don't you?" Alpheus mutters to me.
"For your information I happen to have lost my virginity." I said Alpheus raises his brows towards Atlas. His cheeks went slightly rosy.
"No way, you have a girlfriend and you're still a virgin and this loner isn't?" He says pointing to me.
"Uncalled for.. Uncalled for." I said Atlas shrugs
"She wanted to wait for marriage." He says Alpheus smirks
"Figures, daughters of Aphrodite. They really make you work for it." He says
"She believes in romance." Atlas defended her
"Well, now you're immortal. So there's no growing old and getting married." He says
"Sex isn't all I think about Alpheus. I love her." Atlas says Alpheus rolled his chocolate eyes.
"How long have have been with her?" He asks
"Like three years." Atlas says
"Wow, that's admirable." Alpheus says Atlas was about to snap a retort but the secretary cleared her throat loudly. Alpheus walked up to the counter.
"Hi, I was wondering if you could sign Luna Archer out of class? It's a family emergency." Alpheus says
"And who are you?" She asks in monotone
"Her brother." Alpheus says and handed her what resembled a licence.
"Right, our paging system is down. I can tell you her classroom and you can go pick her up." She says Alpheus nodded she checked on the computer and wrote something on a sticky note. Alpheus craned to see something on the computer monitor and accepted the sticky note
"Great thanks." He said and turned pushing Atlas and I out the door.
"How'd you know to say that?" I asked
"Dad made me practice." He said
"And where'd you get that licence? I thought you were like two thousand years old." Atlas says
"Wow, a virgin and you've never seen a fake ID." Alpheus stuck out his bottom lip as if to pout.
"Oh shut up." Atlas muttered
"Where's the room?" I asked trying to avoid having them argue and disturb every class we walked by.
"Second floor, science hall." He says
"What'd you look at the screen for?" I asked before he could get into it with Atlas again.
"To see her picture." He says I nodded he looked at Atlas and smirked but didn't say anything but gave him a wink.
We went up the stairs and found the science hall. A bell sounded above our heads.
"What does that mean?" Alpheus asked
"Wow, the old man doesn't know what a school bell is.." Atlas says I couldn't help but laugh. Then I swore under my breath.
"She just got excused from class, we have to find her before she goes too far." I said they nodded in agreement and we made our way through the hall of students.
"Do you see her?" I asked Alpheus he shook his head.
"Wait, yeah!" He said excitedly. Atlas and I followed him as he rushed over to a small figure. He caught up to her a grabbed her arm. She shrieked, he'd scared her. As she turn I immediately saw each of us in her face. She was definitely our sister. Her dark hair and dark eyes, two strands of hair were pulled back and tied at the back of her head keeping the hair out of her face. She had freckles and was wearing an all black outfit topped with a maroon jacket just like my green one. Her fingers were decked out with rings and her nails were painted black.
"Luna?" Alpheus asks she nods
"What's this about?" She asked gripping the strap of her black messenger bag.
"We need you to come with us." Alpheus says
"Who are you?" she asked.
"We'll explain but we need you to come with us. For your safety." Alpheus says she nodded
"Anything to leave school." I chuckled brining her attention to me. I must have been a sight, no doubt my hair went slightly more wild due to the humidity and I was probably sweaty.
She brought us to her locker to grab a few things which included a book and a pair of brown aviator sunglasses.
She threw her binders in the locker and shut it.
Alpheus walked beside her as Atlas and I brought up the rear.
We walked out the nearest exit.
"Do I need luggage?" She asked
"I'd imagine he'd have it all down there by now." Alpheus says walking across the street.
"Who?" She asked
"Our father." He said
"Our?" She says
"Yes, the four of us are siblings. Plus there's more of us." He says
I listened as Alpheus told her everything she took it surprisingly well. She only started to question us when we got back to the field.
"The entrance to the underworld is in a field?" She asked
"No, It'd just be best if no one saw us." Alpheus says Luna's brows came together.
"Saw us do what?" She asks
"Dad, it's not nice to keep us waiting." Alpheus muttered. I braced for the smoke. Sure enough, it seeped from the grass and swirled around us.
Luna tried to back up with a startled face but backed into Atlas.
"I know." I heard him muttering as the smoke surrounded us.