Rita and Weep

I could barely sleep that night.  I kept thinking about if I was doing the right thing.  Was I ready for the consequences if everyone found out I was a fraud.  If the other girls found out I had an alternative to this lifestyle would they ostracize me.  I debated calling one of Vinnie’s friends and bargaining with them to let Rita pay her tab with unconventional forms of payment.  I knew a few of them that would accept that.  I hadn’t yet spilled the beans to Rita.  She just knew that I had offered to help her.  I knew if I asked Vinnie he would do it but first off he isn’t the best with family law and secondly I had just asked him to help out with Mark.  I know he has actual clients and probably doesn’t need my constant referrals, especially for people who need to use the family and friend discount.

In the end I decided to do it.  I decided to take a leap of faith with Rita.  The way I see it is worst case scenario was she would just blackmail me into giving her free attorney services for life.  Considering I would probably do it without coercion anyway, I was ready for the consequences.

Daphne went to meet up with Steve for brunch so luckily we had the apartment to ourselves.  I hadn’t even mentioned it to Daphne.  Rita showed up ten minutes early and brought everything I had asked her to.  Her compliance set my mind at ease that I was doing the right thing.  I picked up the manila folder holding all her paperwork and smiled at her.  “Okay, let’s get started.”

Rita gave me a confused look, “aren’t we going to wait for the lawyer to get here?”

I took a deep breathe.  “Rita, now remember you promised not to tell anyone what we are doing right.”  She shook her head uneasily.  “I have my license to practice law.”  I felt uneasy referring to myself as a lawyer.

            Understanding quickly she responded in shock, “you’re a lawyer?”

            I shook my head waiting for the myriad of questions I knew would come next.

            “Um, okay.  Then let’s get started.”  She sat down at the table next to me.

            I can definitely say I was surprised by the lack of questions.  “That’s it?  You aren’t going to ask me anything?”

            “Believe me I have a million questions but you are really saving my ass here.  So your secret is safe with me and I am not going to ask you anything you aren’t willing to share.  You don’t owe me an explanation.”   The way Rita said it I knew she meant it and I was grateful for that.

            I started reading over some of the papers.  “Alright just one thing.”

            Rita turned to me, “anything.”

            “Just don’t call me Ginger in court.  It probably wouldn’t be in our best interest to let them know that a stripper is representing a stripper in a custody battle waged against stripping.”  I laughed.

            Rita smirked.  “You got it Ging.”  Then she shook her head.  “I mean Lennie.”