First Thing in the Mourning

I hunkered down in the couch and pulled the blanket up to my chin.  I had my phone alarm set to wake up Tori and I let the sound of the city lull me to sleep.  It seemed like I had only slept for a few minutes before my alarm was going off.  I had been up half the night.  Every time my eyes would close I would have crazy dreams.  When I would wake up I couldn't remember what the dreams were about but I couldn't help but have this overwhelming feeling of being alone.

I sat up still in a daze and shut off my phone alarm.  I tossed the blanket off of me as if that would take this feeling of emptiness away.  I walked to my bathroom and brushed my teeth, combing the knots that had matted during the restless night.  I went into the kitchen to make some coffee and start making Tori's breakfast.  I walked back into my room and woke Tori.  She smiled and followed me out to the kitchen.  After she ate she got dressed and brushed her teeth.  When it was time to go to the bus stop we stepped out into the hall.  I hesitated in front of their apartment wondering if Vinnie was still in there or if he made it into work.

I came back up to my apartment after the bus came to take Tori to school.  As soon as I finished cleaning up the breakfast dishes my cell phone started going off.  I looked and saw it was Mark before flipping it open.  "Hello."

I heard Mark immediately responding.  "Hey, you're up.  I wasn't sure if you would be up this early."

"I am always up this early.  I get Tori ready for the bus."  It caught me off guard about how little we actually know about each other.

"Oh.  I guess I just thought you were doing it last night because the guy was drunk."  I couldn't tell what the apprehension was in his voice.

 "Vin gets up in the morning and makes sure that I get home from work safely and I make sure Tori gets on the bus.  Sometimes I get her off the bus too.  It works out conveniently for both of us."  I shrugged to show that it was no big deal, only to realize that he couldn't see me.

 "Oh."  Was all he said.  I noticed right away what the apprehension was plain and simple jealousy.

I laughed with the revelation.  "You aren't jealous are you?  He's my neighbor.  I like helping out with Tori."

"I am not jealous.  I was just wondering that if you have this daily commitment, how are you supposed to sleepover at my place?"  I could tell by his voice he was teasing.  Sort of.  The thought of spending the night with Mark made my stomach flutter.

I tried to put the thought in the back of my mind because as exciting as the thought was it was also very intimidating.  "Well considering that isn't going to be an issue for a long time, we will worry about that later."  I couldn't even imagine the thought of having to tell Vinnie I couldn't get Tori on the bus because I was sleeping over at a guy’s house.  Especially someone that he apparently didn't even like.

"Or we could always just stay over at your apartment."  I could tell from his voice that he was smiling.  I was glad that he couldn't see me blush.

All I wanted to do was change the subject.  "Anyway..."  I let the sentence trail waiting for Mark to tell me what he had called for.

He laughed.  "We can talk about this later.  Anyway I was wondering if you wanted to do something before I have to go into work?"

I smiled.  "Sure what did you have in mind?"

After I showered and brushed my teeth, I stood before my closet looking at all my clothes.  I really wasn't good at picking out clothes.  For the few occasions where I had actually cared about what I was wearing, I had Daphne help me and if Daphne isn't available I always have Tori.  I tried combining articles of clothing to make a trendy outfit but it was a huge failure.  I figured black is always in style and the general rule with dating is usually the lower cut the better.  Regardless of being a stripper I didn't want to be too trashy so I stayed away from anything that I would consider wearing on stage.  I picked a low cut black tank top and a dark jean skirt and slipped on some flip flops.  As I was finishing getting dressed I heard a knocking on my door.