In Laws, Out of Line

I walked up to my floor.  I could hear Vinnie clanking around in his kitchen.  I stood in his open doorway watching what he was doing for a few minutes.  There was a part of me that was disappointed that he and I couldn't work.  Well I guess I don't know if it could work but I know I can't afford to lose the most important people in my life.  Regardless of what Daphne said I guess I'll never really know.  "Hey, what are you making me for breakfast?"  He turned around quickly and smiled when he saw me.  He really was beautiful.

"Hey.  Julia's parents are coming over to see Tori.  They haven't come to visit in over six months.  I called off work and everything.  I need to figure out something to make for dinner.  They are coming over for an early dinner.  I mean should I make something?  Should I take them out to eat?"  Vinnie was freaking out.  “This place is a mess.  I have to clean everything.”  Vinnie always got nervous around them since I've known him.  I don't know how they were with each other before Julia died.  I've only ever seen them in passing.

"Relax Vinnie.  Take deep breathes."  I stood in front of him with my hands on his shoulders.  I was taking deep breathes trying to get him to mirror me.  It worked.  Once his breathing became normal again, I smiled.  "Listen, you start cleaning and I'll get Tori off to the bus.  You give me your credit card and I'll pick up all the ingredients to make chicken prosciutto.  You love when I make that.  I'll pick up a nice bottle of wine for dinner and some of your favorite scotch for you to drink beforehand so you can calm down.  Then I am going to stop at Chanel and buy myself a little thank you gift, from you of course."  He looked at me relieved.  "I'll even cook it over in my apartment so all you have to worry about is cleaning up this place."

 “Oh sure you get the easy job.”  He was smiling so I knew he was grateful.  “If we make it out of this alive I will buy you anything you want.”

I raised my eyebrow.  “I wouldn’t say anything.  I have always wanted a pony.”

A little voice from behind made us both jump.  “I want to ride your pony.”  Tori was standing there smiling at us.  Vinnie and I both laughed.

“Alright kiddo let’s get you dressed and I’ll make you some pancakes.”  I led Tori back in her room and helped her pick out some clothes.

Several sleepless hours later I had everything prepped and ready to go.  All I needed to do was cook the chicken, which actually took very little time.  I even picked up some deserts from my favorite bakery Bread Zeppelin.  I decided to go over to tell Vinnie I was going to sleep for a little bit before I had to start cooking.

“Hey Vin,” I couldn’t believe my eyes.  “Wow this looks great.”  Everything was shiny and clean.  Vinnie never let the apartment get out of control but it looked like a million bucks.  He had the table set with their wedding china and everything.  I noticed he had five place settings.  “Is Jordan coming?”  I was hopeful.  Jordan was Julia’s younger sister.  She comes around the most but that’s still not very often.  She and I got along great.

"Uh, no.  But you are."  Vinnie was scrubbing the already spotless countertops.  I noticed the bottle of scotch I had picked up had a good dent in it.