Chapter Fifty-Six

Chapter Fifty-Six

Haunting is the word Louis would use to describe his aunt's funeral. The silence that sat in the church was something he wouldn't soon forget, and even though it had only been a day since he said goodbye, every time he closed his eyes, he was back at the funeral.

Though, it hadn't just been the funeral that had Louis' mind trained on that day. It had been the words Sarah had said to him. The news he was still trying to wrap his head around. Sarah had cancer. One of his best friends had been fighting a battle he didn't know about, and he hadn't even cared to ask. Even though he noticed. He noticed the absent days from school. The bags under her eyes. The fatigue. But he never asked.

Louis couldn't get that thought out of his head, and as he laid in the bedroom that Sam's parents had graciously let him stay in, he couldn't stop replaying that day in his head.

"May I come in, Lou-Lou?" Isaac's voice floated calmly through his bedroom and fell over Louis like a blanket, causing a smile to grace his lips.

For a moment, and for the first time since the funeral, Louis' mind felt calm.

"Of course," Louis replied, shifting his position on the bed, as he knew Isaac would be coming to lay beside him. As he did, the bedroom door was pushed open, allowing the light from the hallway to spill in.

"You look adorable when you can't sleep." Isaac gave chuckled as he climbed into bed next to Louis.

Louis rolled over to face Isaac before wrapping his arms around his body and pulling him closer. He asked, "Does that mean I'm adorable all the time?"

"It does." Isaac smiled, though Louis could see there was concern in his eyes.

Louis was used to it by now. All his friends had the same look in their eyes when they looked at him. He couldn't blame them. While he was trying his best to move forward with his life, he always seemed to be strung to the past. There was no going back 'to normal,' if that ever existed.

Things were never going to be the same, Louis knew that. He knew that from the moment his parents died, and it became certain when his aunt died. From the moment Sarah had told him her news. Life was never going to be easy, but that wasn't going to stop Louis from doing his best to make every second count.

"How was your day?" Isaac's voice brought Louis out of his memories, and he looked into the hazel eyes of his boyfriend.

It still felt weird for Louis to call Isaac that... Boyfriend.

"Same old, same old." Louis grinned, pulling himself closer to Isaac, relishing in his warmth. "Yours?"

"It was definitely a day." Isaac gave Louis a smile, though it did not reach his eyes. "A fun part was when Sarah bought a new wig. She said she wanted to go back to her natural colour."

"What? No, I won't be able to tell you two apart!" Louis joked, causing Isaac's smile to finally reach his eyes.

"Well, just know that Sarah won't be the one doing this."

Within a second, Isaac's lips were pressed against Louis, who caved against the feeling. Any worry that had still been floating in his mind disappeared within a moment, as he focused on the feeling of Isaac's lips against his. The way they moved together, and how they seemed to fit perfectly with each other.

Louis couldn't believe that Isaac was his, and as he pulled away, a grin rested on his face, and he took in the sight of Isaac, whose face was half bathed in the golden light that spilled in from the hall.

The two boys lay in silence, listening to each other's breathing, and Louis couldn't help but think that this was all he needed. His mind was at rest, and he was lying next to the person who made that possible, watching him slowly fall asleep.