Chapter Fifty-Five

Chapter Fifty-Five

Hand in hand, the two boys began walking through the car park and along the stone pathway over the church's lawn. As they drew closer to the church, Isaac's parents turned to look at them, causing everyone else to follow their gaze.

"Why aren't they standing under the giant awning at the entrance?" Isaac asked in a low whisper, and Louis shrugged, quickly wiping his eyes before they got too close to everyone else.

"I don't know. Maybe they just have no respect for lawn maintenance."

Louis let out a small chuckle, bewildering himself that he could muster it. Then again, Isaac had always been able to make him laugh, even when he didn't think he could. Even if it was only his presence that made it possible.

"Mum, Dad," Isaac started, coming to a stop in front of two people Louis had seen before, even though it had been through a waterfall of tears.

Louis stopped beside Isaac, his grip tightening on Isaac's hand. Isaac's parents had much resemblance to Isaac. His mother's eyes were a beautiful mixture of colours, much like his own, and her hair was a soft brown that sat with small curls in it. His father's jaw was sharp, and the grin that he held on his face was almost identical to Isaac's.

It was as though Louis was standing in front of older versions of Isaac and Sarah who had slight alterations done to their faces. It was a little freaky, though calming to Louis as it felt as though he already knew them.

"This is Louis." Isaac let go of Louis' hand and gave him a little nod, prompting Louis to extend his hand.

"It's lovely to finally meet you," Isaac's mother said, gently taking Louis' hand. "The circumstances, however, I wish could be different. I am truly sorry for your loss."

Bowing his head ever so slightly, Louis managed to smile as Isaac's mother dropped his hand.

"Good to meet you, son," Isaac's father said in a deep, rumbling voice, taking up Louis' hand in a firm handshake. "I'm Ray, and this is my wife, Emilia."

"It's great to meet you," Louis mumbled, a small smile still on his face. "Thank you for coming."

Ray let go of Louis' hand, which fell to his side. "Of course. We're here for you if you need anything."

"We've heard a lot about you. You've helped our kids a lot. More than you probably know, so, this is the least we could do," Emilia said with a loving smile, and Louis looked to Isaac, a questioning look on his face.

Louis was unsure of what Emilia meant by him doing a lot for Isaac. If anything, it had been the other way around. Isaac, staring back at Louis, gave his head a small shake and shot Louis a smile, which Louis took as a sign not to over-think it, which was not going to happen.

"Louis!" A familiar voice echoed behind Louis, who turned around to see Sarah walking over to him, followed by two younger girls.

"We're going to go inside," Emilia said quietly, gesturing for Ray to follow her before they both wandered towards the entrance to the church.

"Hey," Louis said softly as Sarah reached him and wrapped her arms around him.

"I missed you in school this week," she said, pulling away from Louis. "The walks are much more boring."

"I'm sure it's not been that bad." A pang of guilt shot through Louis at the thought of school.

After his aunt had passed away, he hadn't been able to bring himself to go to school, or even leave Sam's house. He knew it wasn't healthy, but he wanted to be alone. He needed time.