Chapter Forty-Seven

Chapter Forty-Seven

"Ah, good. We're alone now," Isaac whispered, dropping his arm from around Louis' shoulders and slipping his hand into Louis'.

Louis still wasn't used to the feeling he got when they touched.

"Scissors? Really?" Louis asked, chuckling. "That's a horrible nickname."

"I was, like, five! Shut up!" Isaac laughed as they drew closer to their building.

"Can I ask a question?" Louis suddenly asked, as his eyes followed where Sarah had just been.

"Is it going to be about Sarah?" Isaac questioned, lowering his voice, and Louis could sense he didn't want to talk about it.

"Is she okay?" Louis pushed past the thoughts telling him he should keep his mouth shut.

"Has she told you anything?" Isaac answered with another question and tightened his grip on Louis' hand.

"No. Though, I haven't really asked. I've been more focused on stuff happening in my own life."

"Look, I just think it's best if I wasn't the one to tell you personal stuff about my sister."

"You're right. I'm sorry. I just..." Louis tried to find the words to say but was coming up short.

He was concerned about Sarah. He had been from the first day they had met, and it seemed as though she was getting worse. He could understand why she didn't want to share what was wrong, however, as Louis was much the same when it came to personal information.

That didn't make it any easier not to worry.

"I'm sure if there's anything to tell you, she will. Eventually," Isaac said, and Louis nodded, deciding to quickly change the subject.

"So, did you get off school early or something?" Louis asked.

Usually, Isaac didn't get home until an hour after Louis, so him walking home now was a bit out of the ordinary. Not that Louis was complaining.

"On Mondays I have a free last period, so I get to sign out early. Usually, I go to the pizza place and do homework, but I thought I'd try something different today."

Isaac smiled up at Louis, who was glad the small conversation about Sarah hadn't harmed the afternoon.

It wasn't long before they were skipping up the steps to their apartment building and walking inside.

"Most of my homework is math, though. Which may have to be done by tomorrow," Isaac said with a nervous laugh.

"You know..." Louis started, shrugging, trying to keep his nerves away. "I'm really good at math. You could always come over, and I could help, if you want."

The two boys started making their way up the flight of stairs, towards their apartments, hands still entwined, and Isaac gave Louis another smile.

"I could really use the help." He sighed. "I'm more of a science guy."

"I love science, too," Louis stated, returning the smile.

"Yeah, but you're a nerd."

Louis shook his head and laughed. "Gee, thanks."

"I'm here to hand out compliments." Isaac laughed as well, and as they reached the landing they lived on, he turned to look at Louis. "Was that a serious offer before?"

"For you to come in and I'll help with your math's homework?" Louis asked for clarification.

"Yeah."

"Of course, it was." Louis smiled, and he could feel his heartbeat quicken at the thought of Isaac in his room.