Chapter 9

They woke up just as the sun began to set, got ready, and were led to the dining hall by one of the servants.

"Good evening!" Greeted Arron. "I hope you have an appetite. My cooks don't always get ze chance to show off they're skills, and enthusiastically decided to cook you a feast."

"We are honored." Said Kal, with a small bow.

Smiling Arron clapped his hands, and servants brought out the food on large silver trays, and placed them on the table, as they left. Kal looked at the table and saw roast duck, pork, blood sausage, lamb, various soups, and deserts. The two of them instantly sat down, and stuffed their faces. Kal had a bit of everything, and was particularly fond of the roast duck, and a few of the soups.

He looked over to see Conner helping himself to a large portion of lamb while holding a blood sausage in his left hand.

"This is amazing!" Said Conner, in between taking bites out of the sausage.

After trying all of the main dishes, Kal tried the deserts. There were trifles, Turkish delight, foreign candies, and a variety of chocolate covered fruits, candies, nuts, and frozen dishes.

He was in heaven.

When they were full, the food was cleared away. And they walked to the trap door that led to the secret passages. Kal jumped down first followed by Conner. Opening the map they made their way through twists, and turns, until they ended up under another trap door.

"This must be the entrance to the castle." Said Conner, as he put up the ladder so they could get up, and out.

As soon as the ladder was up, Kal put his hand on Conner's shoulder to stop him from climbing up.

"Let me go first, this is my mission, if anything goes south, you will need to go for help."

He climbed up, and lifted the door just enough to see around. Once he was sure that there was no one there he climbed out and motioned to Conner to join him. They made they're way through the castle halls, and every time they saw someone they hid so they weren't seen. They spent their time memorizing the layout of the castle, so when they came back they would have no problem getting around. Just as they were passing a pair of door that weren't closed all the way, Kal heard voices on the other side.

"We have been searching for this stupid cup for three years." Said the first voice.

Kal stopped to listen.

"Why are we even helping?" The voice continued. "Eric is dick, and he's underpaying us."

"We're helping so he doesn't decide to kill us." Said a second voice. "And I would be careful with what you say. He would kill you anyway if your words were to reach his ears."

"How would he hear? He never leaves his room. All he does is study those old documents, that he has us steal for him all the time."Said the first voice.

"Shut up!" Said a third voice. "I swear if you don't shut that god damn mouth, I'll shoot you myself."

Having heard enough Kal turned to look at Conner, only to find he wasn't there.

"Conner!" He called in a loud whisper.

He looked around but couldn't find him. He started walking forward when the ground beneath him disappeared, and he fell into darkness. He hit the bottom, and as he did he fell forward his head hit a rock. His last thought before unconsciousness over took him was of his wife.