Chapter 3

Kal had never been happier. It was the night before his wedding, and he couldn't wait for tomorrow. Yet at the moment a dark cloud hung over him.

"Hey what's wrong?" Asked Eveline, as she sat down next to him.

"I'm worried." He said, trying to think of something else but failing.

"About tomorrow?" She asked.

"No." He said. "I'm worried about our future."

"Why?"

"Because of the lives we lead, and if something were to happen to you it would kill me."

"Hey." She said in a soft voice, kneeling in front of him, and taking his hands. "Nothing's going to happen to me. I know you will always be there, and I'm not going to live as an assassin for much longer."

"Why?" He asked.

She loved being an assassin.

"Because I'm going to be a Mom." She said, with a smile.

"What?" He asked, taken aback.

"I'm going to be a Mom!" She said, whispering excitedly.

A huge grin spread on Kal's face has he registered what was just said.

"I'm going to be a father?" He asked.

Eveline nodded, and smiled as she saw the joy in his eye's. Kal rushed over to his fiancée and spun her around as he picked her up, and kissed her as he set her down.

"When did you find out?" He asked.

"This morning." She said. "But enough questions. You need to get to sleep, and so do I."

With that she gave her husband-to-be a kiss and headed off to bed. Kal went to the balcony of his apartment and looked into the sky, and felt like he could fly.

"It's a good feeling isn't it."

Kal jumped, and looked over to his right. Sitting on the ledge was his friend, and best man Conner.

"What are you doing here?" Asked Kal.

"Thought I'd swing by, and say hello before I head out, to take care of a potential threat in the San Juan islands." He replied

"You going to be at my wedding on time tomorrow?"

"Don't worry about it." Said Conner, with a wink. "I'll be there. This job won't take more than four hours."

With that he jumped from the ledge seven stories up, landed on a trampoline below, flipped, and landed in the grass. He smiled and shook his head.

"Show off."

At least he now knew of another way down if he ever needed it. He went back inside, and went to bed.

The next morning he woke up at ten, and got in the shower. After he got dressed into a tux, he got in his car, and went to the church building where his wedding would take place outside. People started arriving, gifts stacked up, and soon it was time for the ceremony to start.

Kal stood in the front with Conner, who as promised made it, waiting for Eveline to appear. He was so nervous he didn't hear the music start, and when Eveline walked out, he almost stopped breathing.

She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. When she made it to him, he didn't listen as the pastor started speaking. He was only focused on her in that beautiful white dress, and when he was suppost to speak, Eveline used subtle gestures, to let him know.

"You may now...."

Kal pressed his lips to hers, before the man could finish is sentence.

"....Kiss the bride." Said the pastor, a little taken aback.

The rest of the proceedings went by in a blur. They had cake which Kal smeared all over Eveline's face, to which she smiled, cut a slice of cake held out to him, and stepped on his toe.

"Ow!"

His face came forward, and landed smack in the cake. Laughing he wiped off his face and flung the frosting at her. Soon it was time to go, and they went home.