Chapter 19.3 Home is where the heart is

Ma'am Chai passed on Matteo's message to Sarah after her album signing. 

She thought of vacating her condominium for a week or two. Maybe ringing the Viva management and ask if they had any lengthy shoots outside Manila for her.

What would be the point?

If Matteo wanted to see her, then see her, he would. She didn't doubt that for a moment. 

When something came to an end there had to be some kind of closure. She just didn't trust herself to go through with it on her own.

The doorbell rang. She checked in the peephole to see who it was. She opened the door to him. 

His features looked haggard. She saw dark lines under his eyes. He was dressed in his white polo shirt and faded jeans. 

"Pumasok ka."

He was silent as he stepped inside. Silent as he closed the door behind him. 

His eyes were cold and calm. When he spoke, his voice was gentle.

"Hi. I saw you performed earlier."

There was silence for a moment. When Sarah spoke, her face was very serious.

"Ano ang gusto mo, Matteo?"

"I'm sorry for being away too long. I'm sorry for not calling you."

"I've been doing a lot of thinking at sa tingin ko mas makakabuti kung hindi na natin makita ang isa't isa."

"Sarah." Matteo expelled a breath. 

His heart was pounding like a drum. He wanted to hug and kiss her all at the same time. 

Sarah turned and began walking away. Matteo followed her. 

Once they reached the living room there was no escape left to her. 

He caught her, turned her round to face him, the brown eyes sad.

"This is all to do with the fact that I went away on business without first asking your permission?"

"That's got nothing to do with it! You were running away!"

He froze and stared at her in disbelief. 

"I was what? Was I running away from?"