Chapter 2.1 Made in the shade

Matteo narrowed his eyes and gave her a quick, assessing look. Woman! He guessed that these were simply tears of relief.

Hind niya pinansin ang mga ito.

"Walang tao ang bahay," he said, half to himself. If indeed it was somebody's home. 

The tears had taken Sarah off guard. 

She couldn't remember the last time she had cried, for that was one thing her job had given her, the ability to hide her feelings behind the camera, a bright, professional smile. 

She supposed she should be grateful that he hadn't drawn attention to them. Yet she felt treated unfairly because he hadn't attempted to comfort her, even in a small way. 

"Paano mo masasabing walang tao?" she sniffed.

Explaining would take longer than going through the motions, and so he began to pound at the door with a hard fist. 

He waited, as he had known, the place was empty.

"Stand back," he said abruptly.

"Bakit?"

"Dahil papasok tayo sa loob." 

Sarah eyed the door. "May plano ka bang sipain ang pinto?" she asked disbelieving.

Matteo shook his head, half tempted to give a macho display of strength just to show her. "Hindi, susubukan kong madistranka ang sara ng pinto."

Worried, Sarah took a step back and very nearly lost her balance, but he didn't appear to have noticed that either

"Hindi mo pwedeng gawin yan! Hindi tayo maaaring pumasok ng walang pahintulot!"

Matteo shot her one impatient glance. 

"At ano ang gusto mong gawin natin?" he questioned calmly. "That we stand and freeze here all night, just to have our good citizen medals awarded to us?"