CHAPTER 9:

Matthew randomly stopped and got into a piggy back position.

He offered, "get on."

I stared.

He repeated, "get on."

I sighed and let him carry me, putting my pride aside. I started to relax into the rhythm, up, down and walk, up, down and walk, up, down and walk. Eventually I fell asleep, my muscles relaxed, my arms weakened and the pain subsided. I woke up to warm sun kissing my face and his body beneath me, covered by his jacket. I took in a breath and my body began to move, the pain kicked in again.

Matthew stopped me from getting up, "don't move. I cleaned your wounds, but they need to dry out so I didn't bandage them."

"Hmmm?"

I wasn't listening.

He laughed, "never mind."

"No I heard, I'm just too tired to respond."
"Right," there was that laugh again.

I got up, "we need to move."

"And you need to rest."

"We don't have time."

He got up and flashed that cheeky smile. I looked around, he actually got us through the forest before dark and it was only mid day.

I lead him through some lush green hills, following a dirt road. There was a large lake and a camp just across it. This was goodbye. He pushed my hair behind ear and held my face in his hands. Tears fell from my face, he hugged me tightly. I felt my body shudder in his arms, his hands rubbed my back. My breathing slowed and I relaxed.

I whispered, "I am going to miss you so much."

He whispered back, "I'll be back before you know it."

"So it's goodbye for now, then?"

"Yeah something like that." I could see tears in his eyes that he was holding back as he pulled away to look at me.

He continued, "I'm sorry."
"No, don't be. You need to go be with your people." I kissed him on the cheek and hugged him one last time. My sight was blurred with tears, I tried to blink them away as I looked at him. My breathing was shaky and had no rhythm to it.

He brought his forehead to mine and close his eyes, "this isn't goodbye forever."

He wrapped his jacket around my shoulders and gave me one last hug. I watched him return to his normal life. He looked back at me one last time to see me staring. When he turned back to head towards his camp I covered my mouth and cried, knowing he'll soon forget me. Eventually he reached the camp and I turned to face the forest yet again. It took me almost a week, but I'd finally reached home in reasonable condition. His jacket was warm.