CHAPTER 3:

The next morning I woke up to the smell of breakfast and the sound of Matthew occupying himself.

"Morning, Sunshine," he teased.

I groaned and rolled over, "must you tease me at this hour?"

"Get up and move."
"Piss off."

"Someone's as energetic as ever."

I rolled out of bed and looked for food.

He asked, "you hungry?"

"Do you even need to ask?"

"Here." He handed me a plate of food with some cutlery. I looked at him blankly.

"I..umm...I..ahhh...I."

"You?"

I can't even form a sentence, this is pathetic. I looked away and mumbled.

"I...don't know how to use cutlery."

He didn't hear me, "sorry?"

I snapped, "I said, I don't know how to use cutlery!"

He laughs at me, "I know."

"So, why would you-"

" 'cause it's funny."

"Fucks sake, you're a dick"

"You're laughing too."

I went outside and ate, he sat down and joined me. We ate in silence.

"You said you wanted to know more about us, how about I repay you with that?"

"Okay, how?"

We thought.

I said, "How about I show you my lifestyle? Like you move closer to me?"

"Why not."

We packed his stuff and started walking back. We left the cave and walked toward the hills, getting over them was the biggest obstacle. We then headed towards my home, we passed logs, badgers, deer, rabbits and every other kind of animal. We finally reached my home and looked exhausted.

"Well shit, you need a rest."

"Unlike you I'm human."

"Give me your stuff and I'll take it up."

"Up?"

I pointed to my home in the tree.

He looked surprised, "right."

I climbed up taking his stuff with me, it felt like it'd been ages since I'd seen this place. I laid down on the fur floor and took a deep breath in. Nothing had changed, the home was the same, the smell was the same, everything was the same as three days ago. He climbed up and laid next to me. He pulled out a book and pen, he looked at me and what was around him and then he started writing.

I turned to him, "what you writing?"

"Just everything I've learnt."

"Which is?"

"Heaps."

There was a pause of silence between us. It wasn't uncomfortable, it was peaceful. We laid there listening to each other's breath and felt the low energy in the room. He stopped writing and looked at me.

"Tell me about the knife."

"Okay."

The conversation went on for a while, my mouth grew tired and sore. He wrote down nearly everything I said, much like me, he wrote in cursive.

"Certainly curious."

I didn't realise how close I was to him.

"Sorry."

I shifted back.

I asked, "anything else?"

"I think that's plenty."

"I'm going for a hunt, I need the exercise."

"Okay."

Despite having him as a long lasting source of food, I need to keep the population controlled. It also keeps me sane, doing the same thing over and over every day drives you mad. He knew this, that's why he didn't say anything.