End of the Road

You ever have one of those days that just made you want to not be alive …… Well as Jamal lay in his room replaying the events of this day he wondered …..  That night last summer … why didn’t God let him die ….. If he knew all this pain and suffering was going to take place, why would someone who claims to love you allow this to happen …. His door slowly opened …. Rev. Brown peered into the darkness ….she had paced the floor not sure of how to even start to be there for Jamal ….. All she knew was that she ahd to be there for him …. She was his mother, regardless of anything before or after …..
“Jamal ….”  She spoke as she stood at the door …… “Jamal” … she called again waiting for him to respond … Jamal lay curled up in the corner of his room …. “When ever you had a bad day at school or something upset you when you were younger …” Rev Brown started as she sat down on his bed …. “You would bolt up to your room and find a corner and just lay there ….. quiet …. At first …I thought you had ….left ….but I remembered that as a child …. I did the same thing …. The quiet ….it allowed me to figure out all the mess in my mind …. And the time I needed to get away from it … So we are gonna sit here ….. Quiet …Still ….At peace … until you are ready to talk …..”  Rev. Brown opened her bible to Psalms 23 and started reading …..and silently praying that Jamal hadn’t totally shut her out ….
Jamal heard every word she said … tears never flowed from his eyes like this …. So they sat ….eventually he got up ….. and walked over to his mother … and collapsed in her arms …. “I just don’t understand mom!!! I …I…Why??? What did I do??” he sobbed as she held him …. “I don’t know the answers to those questions … but you have to tell me what happened ….There is no way you can deal with whatever this is alone …..So Jamal ….. what happened??
Jamal wiped his eyes …. This day would never ever be forgotten …”I don’t know where to start … all I kno is …”  Jamal recalled the events that lead him to lose faith in life … in love …. In himself …..
*earlier that day*
“I know you are all excited about the ceronomy, but please understand if there is any deviation from the seriousness of the event, you will not receive your diploma …. Am I understood?” Principal Garris said as she addressed the senior class at graduation rehearsal …. Exams were over and Jamal could finally breathe …. He was graduating ….. The speech he wrote was short and simple …. Not a tear jerker …Kevin wouldn’t say anything like that ….. “What you smiling so hard about Jamal?” Marcus asked …. “Well if you must know mommy dearest ….” Jamal said laughing ….. “Stephen asked me to meet him in the gym this afternoon … said he had something really important to tell me …..and I think I know what it is … and I think I know what imam say ….”  Jamal smiled …..
“Please tell me you not thinking about being with him …..Jamal ….what are you thinking?? I mean Deuce hurt u, but …”  “Stop Marcus … Deuce aint got nothing to do with this …. I’m feeling something with Stephen …. We been talking for weeks … and I really know him now … his fears .. and you know what … He is being honest with me … and that means the world right now ….so be my friend and tell me you are happy for me …..okay?” Jamal knew Marcus was looking out for his best interests … but he wasn’t a kid anymore ….
“I’m happy for you Mal …..I am …I just …..Just be careful …. You got a lot on your plate and I want you to be the best …..happy and free and all that crazy empowerment stuff …..” Marcus was sad that both he and Akeem would be gone to school in the next few weeks .. He at
Duke and AKeem and UNC Chapel Hill ….. and Jamal would be …there …. He still didn’t trust Stephen , but if Jamal was happy …. He could put his differences aside ….
“Great …so you’ll be over the house tonight for the party and then we have the room booked at the beach ….I can’t believe this Marcus … we are out of here!” Jamal yelled as they walked out the door … Jamal had a lot to do before the graduation …. But whatever surprise Stephen had for him, he was ready ….. The last few weeks had been great and Jamal felt he could finally trust someone again … and needless to say … his heart was ready to put everything and everyone behind him.  He was truly ready to no longer only be the Preachas son