Truth is.....

It’s been one of the more exciting competitions we’ve had ever here in Miami…… From early in the day with 45 contestants down now to only 3 ….. Tricia whose rendition of Alicia Key’s Diary had the crowd and judges standing to their feet …… Marnia …..who has been blasting the competition away with her latin renditions …… and finally … The Preacher’s Son … Jamal ….. his last song …. Grateful had the crowd in tears ….. however, the question remains …. Who will win the prize??? 

Jamal watched backstage as the other contestants finished up with their numbers ….. It was the final round ….and he was so nervous ….. Everyone seemed to like his singing …. But no one ever boos a gospel singer … but then again they never win ….. he was trying to figure out what to sing for the last song ….. but he was drawing a blank ……. He sighed as he sat in his chair …….
“Jamal ??? U are gonna win this ….I know it …”  Marcus said as he came with a bottle of water …. “Thanks …. But I’m not so sure … u hear that chick??? She is blowing me out the water …. I just don’t know …..”  Jamal still couldn’t think of a song to sing ….. Should he stay gospel ….or should he do Rn B?? “I don’t know why u even worried about it ….. just sing from your heart ….. and have fun … it’s not about winning …. It’s about u having a good time ….. This is our year….” Marcus said as he sat down beside his friend …….
“When …. When did u know Akeem was the one???”  Jamal asked …. The question caught Marcus off guard ….. “Um … well … it was one of the times after we hooked up …. I had been helping him study and each time we ended up messing around …. Well this time …. I was in the gym watching him practice ……. And then the ball came my way and he ran by me ……. He paused …. Looked at me …. And told me that I was gonna be his shawdi ….”  Jamal laughed …. “No … I’m serious … I looked at him … and saw pass the hard boy image …. And I could tell that he really cared about me and I couldn’t imagine my life without him … I knew then …. Of course I figured we’d always be a DL couple ….. but that’s not wat you asked …… Oh wait …. Do you think …..Deuce …. Jamal are u in love?”
Marcus stared at him already knowing the answer to the question …… Jamal thought about it … was he really ready to say he was in love with Deuce???? Marcus sensed his hesistations …. “Look Jamal … I’m not telling you what to do …. Or how to feel …. And u know I want you to be happy ….. but only you can tell yourself if he is the one ……and it don’t matter about anyone in your past … All that matters is how you two feel about each other …. You taught me that …. So ….. do you love him??”  Marcus asked again …… Before he could answer ….. The stage manager came to tell Jamal it was his time …..
Jamal walked on the stage as the crowd cheered and chanted ‘Preacher’s son …Preacher’s son’ over and over ……. The band cued up for his number ….. Jamal sang …..
I sing ….. Because … I’m Happy….. I sing … because …. I’m free .. His eyes …. Is on …. The sparrow …… and I know ……
Jamal stopped mid sentence …… He had his answer ….. “I’m sorry yall .. I have to follow my heart …….” He stepped back to the keyboard player and whispered something in his ear …. A few seconds later … Jamal started again …..
You love me especially different every time
You keep me on my feet happily excited
By your cologne, your hands, your smile, your intelligence
You woo me, you court me, you tease me, you please me
You school me, give me some things to think about
Ignite me, you invite me, you co-write me, you love me, you like me
You incite me to chorus, ooh
Ooh...

You love me especially different every time
You keep me on my feet happily excited
By your cologne, your hands, your smile, your intelligence
You woo me, you court me, you tease me, you please me
You school me, give me things to think about
Invite me, you ignite me, co-write me, you love me, you like me
Incite me to chorus
La, la, la...
Da, da, da...
Do, do, do...