bundled up

a little college seaycee because i live for this concept. hope you guys enjoy <3
——

Cold.

If Kaycee had to describe her current self in one word it would be cold.

Freezing cold.

It was a typical Wednesday morning and Kaycee was shivering in her seat during her Music in Film lecture as per usual.

She doesn't know why she thought it would be smart, but Kaycee decided during week one of the fall semester that she would perch her tiny self into one of the desks directly under an air conditioning vent.

This seat was a blessing for her during the hot mornings of the first few weeks since the summer heat was still in the air, and the cold air helped her stay awake in the early class as autumn came and went.

But now it was December and it seems like her school still didn't get the news flash that it was colder in the classroom than it was outside.

She really didn't know why she continued to sit in this specific seat— actually yes she did.

Don't get her wrong, the thought of switching seats had come across her mind plenty of times. Some times it'd sound so tempting that she was ready to up and switch spots mid-lecture.

But she never did.

Nope, never. Despite all the times she's thought about moving, she never did.

Partly, because she was worried her teacher would miss her when he marked attendance. Mostly, because there were only three weeks left of the semester and at this point, she'd look crazy if she moved.

She doesn't know who came up with it or why it's such a big deal, but in college there's an unspoken, never-to-be-broken rule:

Never switch out of your unassigned, assigned seat and risk taking someone else's and especially don't switch spots so late into the semester that everyone else has already marked their unassigned seat as their territory.

With the semester almost over, she had no other choice but to suck it up and shiver throughout her hour and fifteen minute long lecture for the next three weeks.

Kaycee looked up at the analog clock hanging above the projector screen, discovering that only fifteen minutes had passed since class officially began. Meaning that for the next hour she had to listen to her professor's monotonous voice read off of his powerpoint about how yet another random movie from the 1960s was scored and soundtracked.

The rest of the class was pleased to see the door open and in walked in the class clown and top student, Sean Lew. Coming in late like he always did at least one out of two times a week that the class met.

Sean, being a music and film double major as well as a returning student of their professor's, knew a lot about the topic. Sometimes a little too much for their professor's liking.

He was witty and charming, many of the girls found themselves swooning over the boy. He was passionate about the topic and often kept the class entertained as he corrected the textbook or argued with the professor about false claims.

But today was different.

Instead of his usual routine of teasing the professor and being teased back for his usual late entrance, Sean waved at the professor before heading to the auditorium seats.

Many were confused when they saw him walk past the front row, the row he occupied every class meeting for the last 12 weeks, and watched as he headed straight to the furthest row in the room, stopping right next to a certain brunette.