when all is said and done

inspired by a pic i saw on tumblr. i switched up some of the phrases anyways i hope you all enjoy <3
——

they ways you said "i love you"

i. as a farewell

The car was filled with silence as the morning dew still sat on top of the upper parts of their windshield.

Three months.

Just three months and Sean will be back in LA. Three short months and he'll be back in his girlfriend's arms.

But those three months had yet to even begin.

Kaycee twisted her neck slightly, watching as her lover had tapped along on the steering wheel to whatever song was playing quietly from their car stereo.

It was currently four in the morning, the two making their way to LAX so Sean could catch his seven o'clock flight to Beijing, China where he would spend three months teaching. Where he would spend three months away from Kaycee.

Kaycee was used to this, Asia Camp happened every year. So, it's not like it was anything new — at this point she'd grown used to it, already having a schedule of things planned out for herself back home.

But just because it was a familiar occurrence doesn't make it any less dreadful.

She was happy for him. Opportunities like this don't show up on everyone's door, and the fact that he's been asked to return year after year could not have made her any prouder.

But she's allowed to be sad.

She reached out her hand, taking a hold of one of his as she felt him rub the back of her hand with his thumb. They still had ten more minutes until they got to his terminal, but her heart was already aching, already missing him.

Those ten minutes passed by quickly as the boy pulled over at his terminal's drop off station. Kaycee leaned against the car as she watched Sean grab his luggage from the truck. It took everything in her not to pout knowing that if she let just one frown slip, the boy would automatically cancel his flight and stay home.

So she feigned excitement, trying to show the boy that he would have nothing to worry about. That these three months would go by in a breeze.

"Alrighty that's the last of my bags babe," he jogged over to the girl, his hands sliding down to her waist before he tugged her into his welcoming arms.

"I know you're trying your best not to be sad right now Kayc, but it'll be over before you know it," he says into her still messy hair, "I have to go check in and make sure they got all my information right when they booked my tickets okay?"

Kaycee nodded, her arms now loosely wrapped around his waist as she waited for him to pull away, not wanting to be the first one to end their embrace.

With one last once-over of her face, Sean kissed the girl passionately before pulling away and grabbing his bags.

"I love you," he said with a wave as the girl made her way into the driver's seat.

ii. from 6,249 miles away

Kaycee was heading back to their condo after a having a late lunch with the Lew family when she heard the familiar sound.

His ringtone.

When Sean left to China, she'd gotten back to their condo on that very same day and changed his ringtone to his own special one.

She knew she'd hate herself if she ever missed one of his untimely facetime calls, so she made sure she'd always know when it was him calling and not some automated call trying to sell their products.